Is the CWB Boss? If Not, What 's His Purpose? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the CWB Boss? If Not, What 's His Purpose?

Here's the Minister's words this morning, in Ontario at a CFA meeting;

"CWB MUST COOPERATE FULLY WITH AUDITOR GENERAL - RITZ

OTTAWA, Ontario, February 26, 2009 – Today Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz issued a formal letter to the Canadian Wheat Board asking them to allow the Auditor General to conduct a full audit of all operations. Minister Ritz made the announcement during his speech to the Canadian Federation of Agriculture in response to the CWB’s loss of nearly $130 million.

“Despite record prices in the marketplace, the CWB lost nearly $130 million in farmers’ money over the past two years,” said Minister Ritz, who also serves as Minister responsible for the Canadian Wheat Board. “That’s money that comes directly out of farmers’ pockets.”

“The Canadian Wheat Board must open all of its books and fully cooperate with the Auditor General to make sure she’s able to do a complete and thorough job.”

The Office of the Auditor General must receive a formal request from the CWB in order to conduct an audit. While the CWB has indicated some willingness to cooperate with the Auditor General, federal auditors must be given access to all of the CWB’s books and operations.

“There cannot be any half-measures,” said Minister Ritz. “The Canadian Wheat Board must not limit the scope of the Auditor General’s investigation in any way.”

“I look forward to getting quick confirmation from the board that they will agree and ask the Auditor General to conduct a full audit.”

UNQUOTE

Okay guys, Pretend the CWB hired a CEO who robbed the pooling accounts, and with insiders, gambled 4Million dollars away on derivitives. Would Ritz do the same thing as this morning, and ask the Wheat Board themselves to request an audit?

Why do we have a MInister at all, if he is neutered by fear?

WANTED: A CWB Minister who believes in and stands for the principle of the right of a farmer in Western Canada to sell what he grows without being jailed.

Pars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Re: Is the CWB Boss? If Not, What 's His Purpose?

Your problem Pars is you want to be able to sell what you grow without being jailed. Solution: become a seed grower.
One of our former directors a pro boarder of course was speaking at a wheat board meeting about the advantages of the single desk, turns out he was a seed grower. Dad leans over to me and says he's defending the single desk but makes all his money outside the confines of the board.
A guy once told me ( I won't mention any names) said they loaded Durum seed in cars back in the 70's destined for Saudi Arabia. This wasn't desert durum by the way. Good old Wascana probably. Anyways turns out they shipped enough seed over there to seed the whole desert.

Back to your question. Ritz is just doing the politicle thing. Who would you rather have in there, Ralph Goodale. Ritz is at least trying to establish some accountability (trying).
We gained ground in the last director elections in terms of support percentage, I think they got our hands tied with these director elections right now. Please prove me wrong.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Is the CWB Boss? If Not, What 's His Purpose?

Well 460, I realize from positing on agriville for quite some time that seed growers are VERY sensitive about their preferred status, aka, 'suck-up-to-the-Wheat-Board-get-lucky-status" and have gotten emails, saying things like, "Hey, don't ruin it for us", or " Parsley, don't be hard on seedgrowers, at least we're getting out grain exported even if others are not."

What drivel.

Stand up and be counted. Look at all the grain exported in the name of seed. 460, it's the principle of the thing.

Yes, I defended Ritz for a long time.

He simply needs to give the Wheat Board a Ministerial Order to issue export licenses to all farmer applicants in the DA, just as the Board presently issues for seeed growers and for feed mills, etc.

A simple, regulatory function fix , with no need to change legislation or increase costs.

He just needs to understand it and then do it. There is lots of grain that circumvents the Board. The Board calls it call it "slippage." Good grief.

Have you ever applied for an export license? They need to be pressured over licensing. Pars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page