Checkoff deadline nearing, get back your well deservd money! - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:08 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Looks a lot different when one has a hand in shaping these groups eh Brian?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
This is my 1st year off pulling out my check-off money from the grain associations, my biggest beef with these associations is the scientific and research grants that are available to those producers that contribute money. It is up to the producer to apply for the tax grants which in most cases does not happen as most of us have accountants that file our tax returns and they don't apply for these grants. Or does your accountant it do this for you? These associations should be sending out yearly statements with a receipt for the tax grants just like charities do. Furthermore these tax grants should cover at least 75% of what producers contribute, if they did this I would be more inclined to contribute. Just my 2 cents on this subject.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Have you read the annual report cover to cover? Talked to the general manager? sat down and had lunch with them and had them explain the things the association is involved in on not only a local level but by representation and provincially, nationally, and internationally?

Its all there if you wish to find it.
Yes, yes, yes and yes. Trust me I have spent way more time digging through this stuff than I care to admit. Admittedly I am not a policy guy like others(possibly yourself) are. Some people live for meetings but when I go to meetings I am there to learn or accomplish something and if it becomes redundant I start looking for the exit. We need policy people for some stuff, but what we have is overload right now. There is an organization for every commodity all lined up to take your money, sanctioned by the gov't of course. Each one hires a staff, lawyers, accountants and......POOF...there goes the first 15%! Then they start advertising and travelling and before you know it there is 50% gone. Literally over half of the expenditures in the report I just looked at AGAIN was used up on something that had communication, relations and administration in the heading!

Honestly if you had approached this in a way of wanting to improve the current system instead of telling me I don't know what I am talking about I would have responded much better. I am open to changing my mind here but unless something changes I stand by my comments.

IF you want some advice(from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about) I would say to first join all these councils/commissions together. This isn't divide and conquer, it's get together and get something done. Once that is accomplished start organizing an independent grading system like they have in the US U.S. Export Grain Grading Process | U.S. Grains Council Then maybe we won't be getting bent over on grading and dockage like we currently are at the primary elevators, the likes of which is theft only paralleled by the current check-off system...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
On a happier note, everyone enjoy the wife's new rack!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Is that where the check-off money goes?
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtupfarmer View Post
On a happier note
Hey I am happy. Selling grain and paying deductions can't be a bad thing! And if you don't support what the check-off funds get spent on you can run for the board or ask for it back. Could be much worse, and in fact has been...

Orlando A. Battista
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
I totally agree SWMan, there should be a Cereals commission, an oilseeds commission, and a pulse commission. They should be in the same building and share staff. There is a lot of streamlining that could occur. While provincial legislation dictates there must per province, there is no reason the focus shouldn't be on a national association for each group. Barley is the same no matter the province as is every other crop. There is a lot of overlap.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtupfarmer View Post
On a happier note, everyone enjoy the wife's new rack!
I may have liked the old one!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
C'mon guys, ok, so I support the idea of a wheat board, but of course I dont support what it was the last decade or so of existence, as the government corrupted it from its intended design.

In saying that, these well funded checkoff schemes are just simply little pool players in governments pocket, simply make work projects which employ hundreds of people doing stuff the government sees fit. If they were actually for us, then they would be 100% listening to our needs, not telling us what we want or need.

If your idea of "fighting for us" is their managment team calling the minister of agriculture and asking if he would like prime rib or kobe beef for their meeting in florida to discuss Monsanto's terms... Then yes, they are fighting for us.

Let get real for a few minutes here, the government never cares about farmers, never did or will. We have no voting voice, we don't pay for their campaigns... We are just here to produce food as humanly cheap as possible (and with checkoffs, scientifically and genetically as well) and to create more agri jobs.
That is our purpose for them, weather we make a dollar or die trying, someone will always try seed every acre possible of canadian lands, every year.

Now if checkoffs went to a completely farmer owned organization which actually faught the government, sued them, held companies accountable, sued them, and listened to/managed by farmers ... Now that is something worth funding! But hey, that sounds like too much of a good thing, sounds like a wheat board idea.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:05 AM

hihi962 I can't believe we are having this discussion again, but I only have one point that you need to understand: THE CWB WAS THE GOVERNMENT. No matter how they acted at the end trying to preserve their cushy jobs they were always controlled by the federal government. I just hope you and others understand that.

Apart from that I agree with your previous post.

Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page