feed barley - The Combine Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
feed barley

in a perfect world it would be nice if I could deliver feed barley to the feed lots in southern Alberta with out paying a broker to take care of the details. I would like to know what they pay per bushel to the broker? for example if I get 3.00$ in my yard, what does it unload for 300 miles south of me ? even if it is only a small margine why do we need a broker to pick up a phone and organise it. our area is full of high quality feed barley mainly due to the outlandish conditions that the maltsters require now like zero this zero that and 100% germ.when we send out super bee after super bee of feed barley why do we need the warm fuzzy feeling just because the broker will be sending us a cheque. can't we trust our feed lot friends to send us a cheque?small rant but tired of being held hostage by organised grain system that involves guys who wouldn't know feed grain from a load of oranges.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 AM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Unlike various grain check-offs that are deducted automatically and you have to jump through some hoops to claw back, using a broker is your own choice - they exist because people use them. If you can go direct to enduser it is always best, but it does usually take more than one phone call. The older I get, time seems to be most valuable commodity I have so can understand why people use brokers.

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herschel View Post
in a perfect world it would be nice if I could deliver feed barley to the feed lots in southern Alberta with out paying a broker to take care of the details. I would like to know what they pay per bushel to the broker? for example if I get 3.00$ in my yard, what does it unload for 300 miles south of me ? even if it is only a small margine why do we need a broker to pick up a phone and organise it. our area is full of high quality feed barley mainly due to the outlandish conditions that the maltsters require now like zero this zero that and 100% germ.when we send out super bee after super bee of feed barley why do we need the warm fuzzy feeling just because the broker will be sending us a cheque. can't we trust our feed lot friends to send us a cheque?small rant but tired of being held hostage by organised grain system that involves guys who wouldn't know feed grain from a load of oranges.
What's stopping you? Of course you can sell direct, I do it locally all the time. Of course you assume all the costs including delivery and a lot of risk at times. Want to know what the price is in feedlot alley, well what do you think the "Lethbridge" prices quoted are?

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:23 PM
lsm

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herschel View Post
I am not offering to Broker a deal for you. I'm looking to Buy product.

1000mt.

$4.00/Bushel CAD delivered to Saskatoon.

If you want FOB price let me know where you live and I will reply with price FOB Farm. I am also willing to pay a percentage up front.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've seen contracts lately of ~$4.50/bu picked up in the yard here heading for lethbridge. 330 miles from here. Trucking paid for by buyer. It's a little tricky sometimes to coordinate with them as they try to get you on the way back with trucks. Especially if you work off farm.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsm View Post
I am not offering to Broker a deal for you. I'm looking to Buy product.

1000mt.

$4.00/Bushel CAD delivered to Saskatoon.

If you want FOB price let me know where you live and I will reply with price FOB Farm. I am also willing to pay a percentage up front.
I mean no disrespect but your out to lunch at 4 bucks. We have 4.75 picked up for June north of Edmonton.
ZEEMAN and kevlar like this.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Heard 5 dollars for sept pickup.. Thinking of growing some my self.. What is a normal yeild for barley.. Never grew it before
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Is it a bit on the dry side in Southern Alberta?
South of the Trans Canada.
Soil reserves and snow I’m wondering.
bussard likes this.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:57 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
That is what I am talking about in other thread. Not sure what you can grow where you at, but in Central AB if you cannot grow 80bpa of feed barley there likely more than a few things wrong - 80% max ins coverage level 72. It pretty much cheapest Spring crop to grow except for oats.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil08 View Post
That is what I am talking about in other thread. Not sure what you can grow where you at, but in Central AB if you cannot grow 80bpa of feed barley there likely more than a few things wrong - 80% max ins coverage level 72. It pretty much cheapest Spring crop to grow except for oats.
To grow a big crop of oats they need some groceries. It isnít any cheaper to grow oats then it is feed barley for us. Our yields on barley would be 80-90 on an average year. Can get 100+ when the weather cooperates

joesixpack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page