Has anyone used FarmLead for Marketing? - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kauppfarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Has anyone used FarmLead for Marketing?

Just wondering if anyone out there has used the website farmlead: www.farmlead.com for marketing their grain, and if so how did you find it. I'm always a little skeptical about online marketing sites...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I tried it a couple times. Had zero interest or luck. First time I paid to have samples graded and pictures taken and posted by their recommended lab and that was a giant waste of money, graded worse than 4 different elevators and never got the pictures up. Maybe it's better now but wasn't much traffic on it then.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
It is hit and miss. Just like talking to a broker. Sometimes you get your price, sometimes you don’t. What I found is to put a reasonable price on and you get some conversations going. I hadn’t used it since last November, but did sell some feed wheat on there last week.

Myles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
I have tried with a few things and priced it lower than what I sold it for on my own. Hasn't worked for me. Reminds me. I need to remove a thing or two I have already sold and hauled out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
buyers bidding 30% below market price and farmers asking 30% over market price or using it as a place to get rid of the stuff that the elevator does not want.

no idea how farmlead is still in business.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
I think you gotta treat it for what it is currently- a decent way to move grain into feedlot alley, and to engage with US and specialty crop buyers, so naturally it isn’t overly useful if you’re not selling into those markets. Big grain companies seem to be ignoring the platform because the less transparency there is the better for them. If they could get enough momentum to force big companies to come there to buy grain I do believe that would be very positive for farmers as a whole but I don’t see how it’ll ever happen. Currently it is mostly VC funded and I believe it’s chances of ever becoming profitable on its own legs depends on the big grain buyers. I’m hoping they succeed but I don’t believe it is a slam dunk. That all said, it is free and pretty simple to post your grain, I sold durum on it last year to a US buyer for a price I absolutely never would have gotten if I ignored the platform. They keep updating the platform to make it easier to sort through the information as well. The customer service has been top notch as well. I’ve sold a fair amount of grain on it, all fees barley, durum and pulses, and am yet to have a bad experience. I can’t say the same for some of my experiences with more traditional brokers like Johnston’s
hiway mike likes this.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page