6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
Thatís a bit of an odd question.
Itís like asking how many people actually care what thier income is.
I would say 90% of farmers I know are watching prices at least daily and using thier phone to do it. Through an app or text or emails.
But if the truth be told, I bet very few people actually LOOK at their pay deposit amount every pay period. Their deductions could change and many would never know it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Hard to really go by what a farmer tells you they are getting, as it is usually like their yields, higher than it really is!! lol
Aint that the truth. Back when I was behind the desk, A friend of mine (Dan) would occasionally mention at the local coffee shop that he got $9 for his canola (or whatever the anticipated price was at the time) just to cause me grief knowing that the other farmers in the coffee shop would flood my office demanding to know why I didn't inform them that we had $9. Of course, we never did. Dan never revealed his true prices or yields in the coffee shop but always had a number to throw around.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
I only check grain prices consistently when I'm wanting to sell grain.... in between time I check once in a while just keep up on trends.
And i only keep an eye on the prices through the websites at the terminals i sell to.

That's what i do to. Most grain companies now will send a text daily/weekly. Simple and easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I bet it's probably not as many as you think! Many people tend to only look at prices when they are wanting to sell. I follow daily on tradingcharts, gives an idea of what's going on, but doesn't really reflect on elevator prices. I get several emails and texts from local elevators usually twice a day at open and close. Always find when someone calls wanting to buy somethings as it went up a few cents, it's best to wait a bit as the price will usually take a big jump and they are trying to top up before the price increase. Hard to really go by what a farmer tells you they are getting, as it is usually like their yields, higher than it really is!! lol
Iím on several mailing lists from local elevators. texts and emails and almost every full time farmer I know in the local area is on the list too. So in our area Iím sure most farmers are getting daily information. Iím talking about farmers that are self sufficient grain farms and not hobby farms that rely on outside income thatís something different. IMO

1967 Case 930 Comfort King with spin on filters and square fenders.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
I vary, watch around 3 times a week when its down to keep tabs on trends. If I believe a good selling opportunity is unfolding then its multiple times a day. Also check it out of habit at times or don't at all if I'm super busy. Usually only watch local elevator website and will reference barcharts upon occasion.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
#1 14% protein HRSW $4.88/bu northcental North Dakota 18 miles south of border.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page