HRS Protein spreads - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
I'm not sure what the local Viterra is paying... I seem to have been booted off their system for not shipping to them any more. I've only hauled out of one bin to make room for the soys, but it was only 12.5%. I'm hoping some of the fields were better.

phlipsman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:29 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4675 Post(s)
Remember the hay days of protein premiums, the Western Canadian Wheat Growers fought for them for years and it’s the best thing they ever did for me.
With high premiums and lower fertilizer prices the protein premium alone would way more than pay the entire fertilizer bill.
Those were the days my friend!

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
My elevator calculates premium/discount at 14%. Its .04 per quarter point below 14%. All of mine was 12%, yay......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Local elevators here are paying between $6.30-$6.65 for #1 13.5% today. 1 cent per point premium above 13.0. Our protein is between 13.1-14.6%
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Yeah the protein spread isn't the deciding factor in my marketing program, as there are other much larger influences. But it is an indicator of quality and perhaps even yield. I knew the thread would drift somewhere and that's fine, just good to discuss marketing IMO.

I thought about questioning the crappy basis levels but didn't want to publicly whine about the over $1 per bushel the grain companies are pocketing after exchange is removed from the equation. Oops....look what you made me do....

That being said, I heard of one elevator not far away paying $7/bushel for 1 red 13.5 today. What is top grade HRS wheat worth in your local area? Locally the price was $6.47 today which is quite a difference!

I don’t know what good wheat is worth over here at the moment. Things have being going so smoothly I haven’t peeked into the circus tent just yet and I don’t have any wheat on my own land either. I expect that the only wheat which I was involved in planting this year was either swathed and binned dry for seed or is maybe long gone by now on contracts bought from guys that couldn’t deliver it because of summer hail storms, along with the canola.

Myself, I’m still too busy and confounded by how those hoodlums that assess farmland nowadays happen to know every single place that I’ve been on the flats with that disc, and then manage to increase my tax assessments by $1000 an acre to spend it in town, even before my cagey old cows can find my oats and beans and devour them for desert.

The nice thing about cattle with a belly full, is they’ll still be standing after a little fall snow storm. We will all sure be hoping over here, for everyone’s sake, that soybeans can stand up during a snowfall too.

I guess It’s a good thing I’m getting a bit lazy, at the rate I’m going I’ll be a 100 when when I get er done.
chance2 likes this.

Last edited by Haystack; 09-22-2018 at 03:27 PM.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:21 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4675 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
But it is an indicator of quality and perhaps even yield.
Before protein payments were a thing it was thought a protein of 13% indicated yield had been maximized, at the time anything over 13% was consider nitrogen “luxury” consumption.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2881 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Before protein payments were a thing it was thought a protein of 13% indicated yield had been maximized, at the time anything over 13% was consider nitrogen “luxury” consumption.
I think this really depends on a number of factors, variety being the most important. I have seen varieties in side-by-side trials vary by 1% protein and the yield was the same, I bet if I lowered the fertilizer on the high pro strip to bring the pro down to 13% the yield would have suffered and cost huge $$$.

Sounds like maybe right now there isn't looking to be huge spreads unless you have low protein...go figure.

I'll keep taking samples around and see if anyone is ready to do a fair basis, that is what really concerns me. I don't care for it when grain buyers focus simply on net price and want targets so the futures can do their work for them, it seems very much like a used car salesman...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
I’ve been growing AC Brandon for two years, it’s out yielding my durum which is an absolute shock. This is a powerful variety. I haven’t checked protein yet, but I think with the heat we had it should good. They yield was still very good considering there was basically now rain in July. Have three quarters to yet. My plan is to cut durum acres a lot and grow more Brandon.
I would sooner just have enough protein then have none and get a big discount.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
so how much n are guys putting on their wheat ground we are usually 120lbs actual
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt View Post
so how much n are guys putting on their wheat ground we are usually 120lbs actual
Protein is extremely weather dependent. Variety plays a big role too. We are 50 lbs actual. Had 2" rain all year. Grew 15.5 protein. Titanium variety.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page