HRS Protein spreads - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Also depends on what type of stubble you are growing the wheat on. I add more N on canola stubble then pulse ground. Protein always higher on pulse, and yields higher.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Our wheat that was low protein was Brandon, had about 100 lbs actual N, yielded around 80 but only 11.5 pro. grown on canola stubble. My uncle had the same seed and everything and grew his on lighter land and I think his protein was around 15. Only thing I can think of is he got a bit of rain when it started heading out. I just think the heat we had limited ours, too hot when it was heading out and flowering.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
mine yielded about same as yours kevlar but we were 14.5-15 protein had fall soil test on canola ground this year and call for huge n amounts for wheat next yeatr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180922_111739_1537633092679.jpg (1,022.6 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
There all kinds of things going on in mkts these days. Think general theme around HRS and protein spread games though is how Cdn grain companies have figured out how much money can be made by mixing HRS/CPS together, selling as DNS specification and basically destroying any "quality" premium that there may have been for Cdn wheat around the world. Around this part of Central AB for anything grain company wants to/needs to fill cars they will pay $7.50/b for anything over 13% prot even though the posted bids are significantly less than this. Posted grade/protein spreads something like .01-.02/tenth over 13-13.5 and double that as deduction if below. It seems to be about $.10/b grade spread between #1-2.

Just when thought had it figured out how to grow high-protein HRS and even fit my insurance program will need to switch to CPS. Oh well, The story of Farming; if you not changing something you likely falling behind.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Seriously thinking of switching from HRS to CPS or NHR class now. We've been trying to chase the protein premiums for years, and even with 120 lbs/actual N or sometimes higher, never seem to come out with high protein. (Unless it is on manure land)

Just seems the way that they jerk you around on HRS with protein, grade, and everything else, you would be just as well to grow a Feed variety or a GP variety and forget about protein spreads. Most guys in our area are switching to Pasteur wheat for that reason.

Bill
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt View Post
mine yielded about same as yours kevlar but we were 14.5-15 protein had fall soil test on canola ground this year and call for huge n amounts for wheat next yeatr
Lot of n, yikes.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
What basis is $0.75, current cash is $5.08. Premiums is $0.05 a 1/5 above/below 14. Max discount is $0.60....most my wheat hits max discount this year, happy with yield though.

Have some neighbors within the same 80acre field/same verity, protein ranged from 11-15.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I think this really depends on a number of factors, variety being the most important. I have seen varieties in side-by-side trials vary by 1% protein and the yield was the same, I bet if I lowered the fertilizer on the high pro strip to bring the pro down to 13% the yield would have suffered and cost huge $$$.

Sounds like maybe right now there isn't looking to be huge spreads unless you have low protein...go figure.

I'll keep taking samples around and see if anyone is ready to do a fair basis, that is what really concerns me. I don't care for it when grain buyers focus simply on net price and want targets so the futures can do their work for them, it seems very much like a used car salesman...
Wanna talk used car sales men tactics, theres been this trend the past few years in the Durum game, particularly at Richardson, where they go well its a 3 quality wise, but we have a program where we can buy it as a 1 right now if youre interested.
Oh yeah, that sounds pretty good yeah, the price is 50 cents lower than our posted 1 though
So youre paying me for a three then
No Were gonna grade it a 1

It is insanely stupid and I feel like Im speaking with clowns when I am in there.
garyfunk, ZEEMAN, SWMan and 2 others like this.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt View Post
Who is doing that soil testing? It would take that much total N to make 70 bushels, seems they arent factoring organic matter, which Im guessing is in the 4-5 range in that part of the world. Is there literally zero residual N? Seems like a bit odd of a recommendation

Any inquiries-
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
yes only 6lbs residual this is heavy soil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page