Malt barley... worth the hassle? - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Malt barley... worth the hassle?

I've never grown barley for malt. Have 1 quarter in synergy, central Alberta. Weather generally poor and getting late in the season. We usually sell most of our barley to a feedlot half mile away.
So should I wait for this stuff to dry naturally and *hope* to get malt grade or just bag it and sell high moisture to the feed lot and be done with it?
Is it actually worth the effort?

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Hasn't been worth it for the last two years. IMO

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Yes its worth it, I am runn'n low on beer. In all seriousness I agree with Gary. A bunch of guys I spray for gave up on malt. The cattle prices are up and feed barley has followed.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 09:30 AM
crw

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Since you haven't got a contract for it, you will be on the bottom of "The List". Last time I checked, malt was $5.20 and feed barley was $5. So I would think if you can move it to the feedlot half a mile away or wait to 13.5 and then wait until June or so for a opportunity to possibility to move it and then have it rejected because of a made up reason, and then sell it to the same feedlotfor less than $5.
I used to grow and sell malt every year but have been screwed over way to many times and I can sell to a feedlot 6 miles away.
garyfunk and Licensed to kill like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Maltsters are the fussiest folk. Bring in 15000 bushells at 13 bring one at 1500 at 14 no paper blending send the truck home loaded thank you very much. Malts gotta have a big primium to consider it in my opinion
Licensed to kill likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:44 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4580 Post(s)
I dont care who grows malt barley as long somebody does!
crw likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
As a malt selector I say try for malt. As an ex farmer I say go with what works best for you. Being a non contract grower does not necessarily put you at the bottom of any "list" as long as the quality is there. If it is good stuff, we will accept it. The benefit of being a contract grower for us is we are more willing to stretch the limits of quality for contract guys than non contract. And before you worry about being tough, I would contact the elevators in the area to see what the discount is for drying, often similar to what you can do it for, and then they take the risk of killing the germ while drying. Also, the feed to malt spread is starting to expand with the weather problems that are out there, the shortage of feed is starting to go away with every day grain stays in the field. More days in the field and the spread will really start to widen.
sparky likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Way too many people screwed over by the malt business to pursue it. And when it comes down to the nitty gritty you can malt any barley if the "malt" price gets too high for maltsters. Still growing some but it is on the list to get out of. Haven't grown wheat for decades but reading the crap going on in that market makes it clear that is the market gaming farmers too. If i had a feed lot right next door there would have to be a heck of a malt premium to pursue it. Local elevator feed is $4 and malt $4.85. Feed was $5 not long ago. Malt Jan-Mar delivery $5.35 last i looked. That means "we accept it as malt now", you haul in March/April when they finally say they will take it and say "sorry, it is no longer malt". Is it worth it for that crap?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Lots of good malt barley came off before the rain. Doubt they will even look at yours if it is still in the field. Should it go on one of those feed barley to be used as malt barley in china deals they will still buy it later even if you treat it like feed barley.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Feed, maltsters are the biggest bunch of crooks out there.

O but they might double the premium, all the way from 25 cents to 50!! Fock that, maybe if the premium is double the price of feed might be worth dealing with them. If not dealing with maltsters will probably cost you money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page