9Likes
  • 6 Post By kevlar
  • 3 Post By schraefel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
What to grow

So, since I can't get this years crop harvested due to rain and snow, I thought I would do some figuring for next year. I seeded some winter wheat, but it looks like wheat prices will be low again next year and are break even at best, and world wheat supplies look to be high. With our dry climate, not a lot of other options. I am considering some yellow peas assuming that the India tariffs will get straightened out by next year. In our area of extreme north-central Montana, canola always seems to pencil like a money loser, considering some flax, not sure about that. Anyone else got some good ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Marijuana. If the market crashes, light it up and enjoy it.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Marijuana. If the market crashes, light it up and enjoy it.
Sounds like a great idea!

You grow that and I will say the heII with farming and buy up every McDonald's in Canada!

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
If you haven’t bought your fert yet nothing will pencil out, at least in Canada!!
Prices are rocketing and commodities are crashing so there will be very little money to be made. I myself likely won’t be growing any canola due to $70/ac seed and $$$$$/ac for fert. The numbers for me won’t add up to grow canola.
Lentils will be in the toilet for at least two years.
Doesn’t leave many options to make a buck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Well, I haven't booked my fertilizer yet. I am thinking of trying a few acres of yellow peas, and maybe a little flax, I need to develop some kind of a rotation above and beyond the wheat/fallow rotation.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Barn
I try to stick to my rotation (and maybe my 4 newly alotted plants). Seems you get a winner and a loser every year. I sell the good ones and store the bad ones. I mostly grow a little bit of anything that will grow here. It's a lot of work with clean outs and calibrating but it beats trying to predict the future. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Slewis, kevlar and kevlar like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
A very challenging year is ahead!! Yes, things can change by spring but as of now things don’t point for a positive change. Even now the machinery manufacturers are feeling the heat, Bourgault is laying off 50 employees.
Getting back to the basics is what I’m going to do. Rotations are important, but I think overrated at times.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Barn
Only bright spot in my area looks to be cattle feed, so we will again be planting more alfalfa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow!! It's an awesome idea. I have heard many advantages regarding medical marijuana. It's useful in many health conditions like a migraine, cancer, back pain etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page