Cleaning and selling seed - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Upov 91 is only covering a few varieties right now. PBR is a bigger issue, mostly regarding cereals.

They don't want you to be able to clean and sell so they don't give any way for the average farmer to pay the PBR.

Something like an older now patent expired RR1 soybean can be grown, cleaned and sold as "common" in Canada or "VNS/variety not stated" in certain states of the US. Just can't call it by its variety name or you'd be infringing on the rights of the breeder.

Older seeds not covered by PBR or anything not patented you're free to grow clean and sell to your heart's content. Certain pursuit canolas come to mind.

Lorne hadley likes to make noise and send threatening emails any time you advertise anything though, so make sure you're doing it right and then tell him to f*ck right off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Sorry to tell you the pursuit canola is deregistered and cant be sold, as is most varieties of wheat and canola.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
So just to be clear (forgive me, I'm learning) if deregistered varieties are grown albeit canola, cereals or whatever they can then only be sold into the feed market as common seed, correct?

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 AM

For most cereals that is correct, you can sell it into the lowest grade for the crop, usually feed. It would not be called common, it would be noted as a de registered or unregistered variety.

For canola, it is a bit more difficult. I can't find anywhere that says you can't grow deregistered varieties like it says for the cereals, and I know that I have never tested for it in 20 plus years that I have been doing this. The question would be why grow these varieties, they would not produce near what modern varieties are doing, and if you are growing an de registered RR Ready crop (not sure if there even is any), you are going to get other companies involved above who you are selling to.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker18 View Post
For most cereals that is correct, you can sell it into the lowest grade for the crop, usually feed. It would not be called common, it would be noted as a de registered or unregistered variety.

For canola, it is a bit more difficult. I can't find anywhere that says you can't grow deregistered varieties like it says for the cereals, and I know that I have never tested for it in 20 plus years that I have been doing this. The question would be why grow these varieties, they would not produce near what modern varieties are doing, and if you are growing an de registered RR Ready crop (not sure if there even is any), you are going to get other companies involved above who you are selling to.
46a76 canola did 50bu last year on a half section. That was after the big wind fkd up the swaths as well

This year l233p did 34bu. Pursuit did 27, weed control was a problem. Tough growing year but still. Genetics isn't everything. You still need to have the weather cooperate. Also, when you're putting the cash out the door up front for expensive seed, which fields are getting more groceries? It isn't the bin run.

Side by side trials bin run rr1 vs rr2 certified beans, the rr2 did 4-5 bushel better. Just pay the 100$/acre seed bill.

They've got everyone so piss scared to do anything outside the box and input costs keep going up up. 600$/bag for canola seems to be the new norm. For that kind of money I want Trish fucking Jordan herself schlepping those bags up the cart.

But hey, you get a nice sign on the edge of the field in July.

Last edited by Slashnburn2; 11-21-2018 at 01:05 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 AM

I am not going to argue that the year to year variety improvements are worth the seed cost of canola now. Back when I was producing, I thought that hitting 250 a bag was getting a little ridiculous, now seeing the price, it is just stupid. Have yields gone up that much in 10 years, not that much. They have, but I think a large portion of that is farmers are accepting technology as much as newer varieties. Precision farming, willing to do extra fungicide applications, putting the extras into a crop that were not done near as much as they were back then. BUT the big monkey on everyones back is the willingness to get caught by the companies. Are you going to get nailed every year, no. But the one time you do, I think most people are going to wish they had played by the rules as they are dragged through the court system, hit with massive "damage" penalties, etc.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
We can clean and sell seed. If you sell over $5000 worth you need a dealer license. Just give respect to all protected variety laws in place. Spreading of weed laws, ect. I found this to be a bit fuzzy. Some varieties you can not sell. Seed dealers do not like anyone to know this. They have tried to tell me I can not sell ANY bin run seed.

Story to show how fuzzy it can be. Basically, I had called a Canadian company that "owns" a variety and asked if I could sell it in Montana. The rep said um, well, yes... Sold a bit to one person, that came to me asking for it, and that fall the person tried to force a Montana dealer to buy their grain as organic seed under the variety name I had purchased the seed as a few years previous. I started to get calls and got nervous... Did I break the law not knowing it?? State guy says I was ok (after looking into for 3 days), one rep from the Canadian breeder said I was ok before I sold it just don't sell as the variety only as common seed (not in writting), Montana seed dealer said I broke the law. I think the dealer was believing I sold as the variety name. They all said no one has ever asked this before. I didn't push it and don't want this type of stuff going through courts. No one came after me for anything. I told the person I sold the seed to to drop it. Dealer doesn't want to buy the grain and likely want to protect their business. They have not talked to me since. That is the short version. So..., selling bin run seed seems to be a slippery slope. If you do it never put in writing any type of variety name. Only sell as bin run. Make sure there is no protection on the seed being sold. You can go through all the channels, fallow all the laws, pay all royalties, and sell seed. I know farmers that do this. Speaking only for Montana as I understand the laws.

Last edited by lanwickum; 11-22-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page