Where is Wheat market heading? - Page 8 - The Combine Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Is there a way to know how feed grain supplies are holding up? Been two dry years now and a lot of feed sources getting used up I would think and guys here will be worried about pasture/grassland with the consecutive dry years as well as lower than normal snow cover. Naturally a lot of rain can come between now and July but perhaps some are starting to secure supplies. So livestock feed may be getting short. Perhaps we are seeing feed grains closing in on quality grain vs quality grain loosing ground. Now talk of pig disease is China and perhaps expanding livestock market at home to compensate would increase feed demand, though it takes time for that demand to grow. But similarly it takes time to rebuild feed stocks if it is in short supply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmb View Post
Is there a way to know how feed grain supplies are holding up? Been two dry years now and a lot of feed sources getting used up I would think and guys here will be worried about pasture/grassland with the consecutive dry years as well as lower than normal snow cover. Naturally a lot of rain can come between now and July but perhaps some are starting to secure supplies. So livestock feed may be getting short. Perhaps we are seeing feed grains closing in on quality grain vs quality grain loosing ground. Now talk of pig disease is China and perhaps expanding livestock market at home to compensate would increase feed demand, though it takes time for that demand to grow. But similarly it takes time to rebuild feed stocks if it is in short supply.
Planned corn acres are going up in the US. South America is seeing increased stocks since Argentina has a crop this year. Barley acres? 15% increase? 20%? If China won't buy canola will they buy hogs? I would be careful seeding too many feed acres. Some local spiking might happen if supplies run short before harvest. Hard to say how much of that will happen with all the corn laying around.

post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Ok, I see what you are saying. No shortage of anything anywhere according to the USDA.

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/we...rop-production

I guess this just proves that we absolutely need more private breeding of more grains at the farmers expense along with a more controlled market of the seed grain industry all in the name of driving yields higher and thus boost year ending stocks because this will boost farmers profits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmb View Post
Everyone around here is increasing barley acres, as the price was good last year, but little do they realize that there were shortages elsewhere, and next year some of our feed markets are closing their doors to us, like the Chinese and Saudi's. I think we are in for some low market prices for the foreseeable future (says my crystal ball).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page