Oats - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:07 PM
jvw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
I don't grow oats, although they are quite popular amongst the cowboys around here, and some grain farmers.
But, looking at the economics of it, I just can't see how they could compete.
I keep hearing how oats is so profitable because it yields 200+ bu/acre, so even at half the price of barley, it would still make lots of money.
According to AFSC Yield, across Alberta, Oats averaged 84 Bu/acre, barley averaged 66.
In my area, risk area 6(west of Red Deer ish), oats 80, barley 77
In risk area 7 (Red Deer ish), Oats 84, barley 84.

It was a very dry year, but previous years aren't that drastically different.

So, who is actually getting these spectacular yields, and where?
Can you keep oats standing at those yields?

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Problem with those yields is oats unfortunately gets planted last or on poorer land, breakings, etc that brings that average down. We wouldn't be growing oats if it averaged 80 bu/ac.
Inputs are less, oats scavenge well for nutrients but you do still need to feed the crop. Few treat oats like a cash crop, if you do then yes they pay. 150-200 bu oats are quite common. Yes they stand well but can go down if nutrient management is unbalanced, disease, and nothing you can do about rain and wind sometimes. Newer varieties are getting better legs but Morgan still is sturdy. In our area barley does not yield as well as oats on solenetzic soils. Each area is different and so don't presume it will work as good as barley in your area. Typically wetter cooler areas will yield very well for oats.

Some economics to consider:
150 bu at $3.30/bu = $495/bu (contracts available with AOG for 2019 crop in AB)
Costs to grow oats $120-140 (crop ins, fert, certified seed, chem incl fungicide)
If re-use own seed costs would drop by 10-15$
Gross margin = $355-375
To get the same margin in canola you need to be growing 55+ bu for comparison

This is one crop I believe is only going to keep increasing worldwide, as rice/corn has become a major issue in countries like Mexico and China which diabetes is becoming a major concern along with heart health.

garyfunk and brazil08 like this.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 AM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
It not a big market yet, but the numbers on Hulless oats significantly better and not the same storage issues(IE 60lbs/b, lower oat yields). About $7/b(based on 34lb bus) cleaned. Also, the straw from this stuff worth a premium and seems to always sell - would not think of chopping even if less than $40/bale anyways. Chaff rows no issue with CX combine as can blow chaff right on top of straw windrow. Gluten free thing definitely a world wide deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Have been growing oats for years now used to have 1/3 of the farm in oats but not as much now . Last year was really dry in the eastern prarie and we got probably 80 bushel yield but have also gotten 200 bushels in certain spots of fields . All our straw is usually baled as long as the straw isn't too green ( a couple of years ago it was green so the baler wanted to leave it a bit to ripen and it started to rain and it didn't stop then the loss grew through the swath and we had some BIG smoke when we burned the swathes ) the baler has some nice large square balers and a neat picker which cleans up the field really quickly without any strings or ruts . I have made a really good flamethrower that uses a mix of gas and diesel fuel and can light a quarter in 20 minutes with five or six passes going at 40 kilometers ( just have to slow down for the ditches and rough stuff or you could loose the guy on the tailgate ) !
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
I have had good luck putting oats on land that is somewhat saline. A wheat crop will typically suffer more in such a situation but oats seem to do decently and it adds some organic matter back to the soil.

Local seed growers tell me that there is good demand for seed and I hear some guys switching wheat acres to oats for up-coming year.

No way I would burn valuable nutrients and organic matter, just chop it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170830_181142.jpg (390.1 KB, 200 views)
bfl2008 and bmich like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
I'm absolutely certain that it's better to chop and incorporate the straw, but it got me wondering what actually is put down in the soil when burning off a crop vs incorporating the straw?

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well in ash you have all nutrients except nitrogen. So you would lose all your potential N but not much else.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
I'm absolutely certain that it's better to chop and incorporate the straw, but it got me wondering what actually is put down in the soil when burning off a crop vs incorporating the straw?
I think lots of people don't realize the amount of nutrients in straw. I downloaded an AG PHD App that calculates fert removal rates for various crops and yields. The nice thing is it gives the fert removal for both the seed and straw and total crop. I find it a very handy tool to use.

Ag PhD ? Information for Agriculture - Ag PhD Nutrient Removal by Crop App
SWMan likes this.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
And of course you would lose all your potential organic matter
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next year View Post
Well in ash you have all nutrients except nitrogen. So you would lose all your potential N but not much else.
Some research has been done to calculate nutrient losses when burning straw. One thing it doesn't calculate is loss of organic matter that would eventually end up in the soil as the straw decomposes. A google search shows numerous studies.

https://www.topcropmanager.com/up-in...-burning-1114/

https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/cr...e-burning.html

http://www.ipni.net/ppiweb/bcrops.nsf/$webindex/896A64C047EA4DE5852571B1006A5BF1/$file/06-3p10.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page