Will recent events affect fertilizer prices? - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
jvw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Will recent events affect fertilizer prices?

Full disclosure, I still haven't bought any fertilizer for 2019 crop year yet, just haven't seen any opportunities, or any reason to panic yet.

I realize that Canada's impact on the world market is insignificant, but if as many farmers cancel canola and replace it with less nutrient hungry crops, or lower their yield expectations, will this have enough affect on the fertilizer market to move prices?

Couple that with some acres in US flooded zones possibly not being seeded, or being later than usual, and winter wheat that didn't get top dressed due to wet weather, and the poor economics of many crops to American farmers.

Prices have been higher than justified most of the fall and winter, all indications are that they would fall towards the end to seeding, could it happen sooner?

According to farm futures, many port prices have been dropping, but the retail price has been stubbornly high.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Local prices have been dropping a bit also.

Brent.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I wouldn't put too much merit on farmers not seeding canola. My guess is you will still see 20 plus million acres going in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
jvw

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drylandfarmer View Post
I wouldn't put too much merit on farmers not seeding canola. My guess is you will still see 20 plus million acres going in.
Not sure how much stock to put in the anecdotal evidence either. I am for sure planting less, as are a few neighbours, a few posters here and Agriville are indicating they will be seeding less.
Partners likes this.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I am putting in less as well. Down less than half of usual. Reason was for the lack of sub moisture here, and the cost of seed is pissing me off more this year.
bauerr and Partners like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
I don't honestly see prices dropping (for fertilizer) any time soon. I would imagine by now most retailers have got their needs booked and prices set, so no real wiggle room there unless they are willing to take the loss. We never really pre-buy fertilizer, but many will have already, and retailers have a good idea how much they need each year and would have a percentage of it already ordered. As far as canola acres changing, I don't see much of a change there, people talk about cutting back, but when the time comes, most will put in their usual acres. We are doing the same acres as we had planned for. Just as easily as canola took a hit, it can bounce back and another crop can take a hit. I see this canola ban as a temporary thing, until the next election, China's way of showing their displeasure with Trudeau. We are very fortunate that other countries aren't following suit as most other countries don't care all that much for him either.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
Friday I was told urea is moving up in price quickly and phos market is likely to bottom soon. This will be on direct loads from the south, doubt your market is any different. I wouldn't be waiting personally, anything Western Canada does is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Wet conditions in the US could lead to some nitrogen losses that could exceed anything happening in Canada for example.

I'm fully bought but the last quote I had on urea which is a few weeks ago was $488 and 11-52 was $680/tonne, not sure where it is at today.

Some day the tough farm economy could lead to reduction in inputs, but expect that to be after some farm equipment dealers go broke. Current strategy seems to be to grow more to make things budget...
bjtjjl likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
canceled 1000 aces of canola, so much still in storage and no clue how long if ever China will be back.. Swap aces to barley and sell locally.. Tough moves for tough times
Partners likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I'm fully bought but the last quote I had on urea which is a few weeks ago was $488 and 11-52 was $680/tonne, not sure where it is at today.
Those prices seem pretty decent. We were same last August for urea, and phos was about $35 higher. This early Feb. we were sitting at $530 and $730, when I committed for rest.

Considering we have an Agrium plant only 10 miles away, Urea seems a little high locally.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I was quoted $780 for phos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page