So a grain company wants all my farm data in season. - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
I'm not going to get into an argument about how we do things vs how others do things. We use tools available to us. I'm not throwing away my 9/16 wrench because it might be taken from me at some point in the future.

But your wrench won't be taken away if it's used properly. If you smack someone across the head with it, then it will be taken away. I don't believe you would be one of the few farmers to apply it wrong from seeing on here your farming practices, I'm always impressed with how you operate. It's the few others that cause the problems that worry me.

I would hate for it to be taken away from us, as it is probably the most cost effective tool on our farm. I would hate to not have it for spring burnoff or post harvest because people spray it at the wrong time. I believe most do spray at the right time, but there will always be someone who doesn't, that's where the problems will arise.

jcalder likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevlar; 07-16-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2 weeks ago, my employer received a letter saying there was a ban on using glyphosphate for preharvest burn down in the edible beans. Any type of desiccant must be pre-approved. Thank you Europe.

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
I'm not going to get into an argument about how we do things vs how others do things. We use tools available to us. I'm not throwing away my 9/16 wrench because it might be taken from me at some point in the future.

But your wrench won't be taken away if it's used properly. If you smack someone across the head with it, then it will be taken away. I don't believe you would be one of the few farmers to apply it wrong from seeing on here your farming practices, I'm always impressed with how you operate. It's the few others that cause the problems that worry me.
In the mean time, its likely wise to get a 6” thumb wrench so (if)(when) they do take your 9/16 away you can still complete your tasks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
2 weeks ago, my employer received a letter saying there was a ban on using glyphosphate for preharvest burn down in the edible beans. Any type of desiccant must be pre-approved. Thank you Europe.
Frankly, I think that's a fair request.
I wouldn't want to eat beans that had recently been soaked in Glyphosate or any other chemical for that matter.
I doubt if there would be a person on here who would.

But by the same token, if end users want nil chemical residue they will need to relax their requirements in other areas.
i.e. They can't expect farmers to grow produce in an imperfect environment, take away half their management tools and expect a perfect product, which is what they currently demand.
kevlar likes this.

Opportunity doesn't knock! It presents it'self when you beat down the door!

Last edited by lynas; 07-16-2019 at 09:47 PM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Good god we’re screwed. If a farmer thinks the beans are “soaked in glyphosate” what’s the general population going to think.
bjtjjl, RWT and jcalder like this.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Good god we’re screwed. If a farmer thinks the beans are “soaked in glyphosate” what’s the general population going to think.
Well okay, not soaked (That word is a tad emotive, I admit) but absorption and translocation of chemical into the plant and seed, if still green, does take place.
Call me fussy, but that's enough for me not to want to eat them. You eat what you want!

Opportunity doesn't knock! It presents it'self when you beat down the door!

Last edited by lynas; 07-16-2019 at 11:02 PM.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah that was pushing it a wee bit. Truth is the pod would be sprayed with a very minute amount, and then at harvest the pod goes out the back of the combine.

But seriously it's hard to believe the BTO's are staging their crop properly every time, and there is some smaller guys that don't know what they are doing either. Do guys shut off the boom when they go through a green patch? What about all the two-stage crop this year? Ideally each farmer's grain would be tested, but I doubt that is economical.

And as always there are more important issues that need to be addressed, but this seems to be the "scary" issue of the day used to sell stuff on store shelves...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Quote:

That's the problem, go on any non-farming forum and read what people think we are doing to our crops. Almost every time it comes to chemical use, they use the term "soaked", like we are bathing the crop in it. No matter how you try to explain things to them, they just don't understand it. 99% of the population is so far removed from agriculture they don't have a clue what we do, and unfortunately we need them to eat so we can make a living. They have the last say.
jcalder likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
That's the problem, go on any non-farming forum and read what people think we are doing to our crops. Almost every time it comes to chemical use, they use the term "soaked", like we are bathing the crop in it. No matter how you try to explain things to them, they just don't understand it. 99% of the population is so far removed from agriculture they don't have a clue what we do, and unfortunately we need them to eat so we can make a living. They have the last say.
They don't want to "understand," that would cause them to question their green religion. If they question their religion they will be on the "outs" in their broccoli taliban group meetings. Many people have their identity wrapped up in this religion and questioning their beliefs is a threat to their identity.
kevlar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page