Viterra Takeover?? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM
farmerleach

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Viterra Takeover??

Read this article about a potential take over of Viterra, what has everyone else heard about this? What do you guys think about this and who do you think might be behind this?

Grain-handling giant Viterra acknowledges 'expressions of interest' in company - Winnipeg Free Press

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Good question. It could be one of the big multi-national grain companies like Cargill, ADM, or Bunge. On the other hand, Wall Street's been watching the grain business since the hedge funds got in back in 1988. Perhaps a gazillionaire like Warren Buffet? I wonder who leaked the news to the TSX?

post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
My wild guess is ADM. They don't have much of a presence in western Canada right now, and they are big enough to do it quite easily. Anyone one else with wild @ss guesses?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Maybe Mayo started the rumors to try to up their share price, and try to get a bidding war started so he can bail with a crap load of cash. Hows that for a wild ass guess.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
cargill. not sure that it would be all that bad. Im guessing who ever is wanting to buy will be more savy with the farm supply end of it than mayo ever was. Not great for the independants.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
cargill. not sure that it would be all that bad. Im guessing who ever is wanting to buy will be more savy with the farm supply end of it than mayo ever was. Not great for the independants.
Cargill is probably not much of an option since they are also in the grain handling business. Viterra has 45% of the grain handling business in the Prairies, I doubt anti-trust authorities would allow a takeover by Cargill. And then the Harper government will probably block any sale to a foreign company like it did with Potash.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
711bert

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
its like wallmart, go big and offer it cheap.
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4689 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_armer View Post
Maybe Mayo started the rumors to try to up their share price, and try to get a bidding war started so he can bail with a crap load of cash.
Known in Enron circles as pump and dump!
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
gm

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I heard it was Bunge, it may not be a bad idea if they get bought out. Then they might have to sell off some assets because of becoming too big and monopolizing in certain areas. (That's all just some vague guessing on my part) I thinnk Viterra was becoming too big and not doing a very good job as far as farmer/grainbuyer relation. They kept buying up various mills (oats and canola) and then lowering the price farmers received. All that did was make a bunch of farmers angry around here and they actually lost sales.

As a company I don't think they did that good anyways since their share price stayed fairly flat even though they acquired a lot of assets around the world. Just my 2 unimportant cents to fuel more speculation on the world wide web of missinformation
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 PM
clb

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The CWB is buying Viterra.

Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page