Malt Barley pricing -- 2013/14 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Malt Barley pricing -- 2013/14

Anyone have a feel for Malt Barley pricing for this crop year?

Local bids here are off at least 10% from the spring for Dec/Mar/Jun deliveries.

Given weather conditions -- seems like buyers are anticipating a large supply of malt barley.

Grain company buyers giving the story -- "feed barley is following corn down, therefore malt barley is going down."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I know 6 months ago you could sighn in at 14 per 100# now it is 10 per 100# and feed is around 8 per 100... glad I had all my contracted not so glad got 100% harvested by the white combine not even one bu of barley this year...

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana View Post
I know 6 months ago you could sighn in at 14 per 100# now it is 10 per 100# and feed is around 8 per 100... glad I had all my contracted not so glad got 100% harvested by the white combine not even one bu of barley this year...
That sucks bro -- I'm sorry bout the white combine.

Contracts here kinda blow -- no act of god clause -- and if you don't make malt -- you have to cover the diff between spot price and your contract price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
NE Sask
$5.00/bu for Legacy 6-row AMJ Delivery
$5.50/bu for Metcalfe 2-row Oct/Nov Delivery ($6.00/bu was available 2 months ago)

Malt is a different beast when it comes to pricing. Yes there is going to be lots of corn which will naturally drive the price of feed bly down. Historically the price of malt is around $1/bu more than feed but does fluctuate.
Don't forget that there is no substitute for malt, therefore the malt price is more linked to supply of malt vs the price of the other grains. If the weather holds we are going to have an excellent barley crop in sk and most of the praries. This alone will drive the price down for malt domestically. I would price as much now as you can but it isn't in the bin yet so risk tollerance will be different for everyone. The elevator companies can't offer an Act of God or similar programs becasue the Malters won't either. We need to convince the Maltsters to take on some risk rather than putting it on the plate of the producer who takes a lower price later.
I would call $5.00/bu malt now the same as $6.00/bu malt last year. If the crop turns out good, I can see malt going to $4.00/bu.
hmmm seeing that number 4 reminds me of about 5 or 6 years ago when the 2-row malt price jumped from $3.15/bu to $3.30/bu while most were waiting for $4/bu. That $3.30/bu was close to the high of that year....
Just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. In this area, seeing $5 for spot up to $5.50 for next Apr/May/Jun.

Grain buyers claiming prices going down because corn going down, and feed barley going down, blah blah blah. Cant substitute feed for Malt -- but that $1 spread seems to be stuck in their head.

As small producer -- seems like you just have to get the Vaseline out and take the price they offer unless you are in a position to store the stuff for long-term.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
I grow Meredith. Sold the last of my new crop malt for 5.50 a couple of weeks ago to Canada Malt, with an AOG. They let you price up to 60 bu/acre. I got an email from them last week saying they where paying 5.25, under a special program. Spot price from them at the moment is $5. Sold the first 20 bu/acre in jan for $5.95

So all things considered I am happy with that price, Now I just pray/hope that we get some nice sunny weather for two months and that it all goes malt, and if all goes well it is looking like it will yeild extremely well.

Last edited by wheatking; 08-10-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page