Heated shop door size - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heated shop door size

Thinking about a heated shop and have door size options of 20'wide or 24' wide. is 20' enough or should i just go with the 24'? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
From My experience the main door is never wide enough. Im In the process of building a shop too. My main door is gonna be 32' wide. Could also get one of them split doors with two 16's or whatever you want In where the middle post slides over so you can have one big opening when you need it...I had them on previous buildings.. found them to be a pain.. so im probably going with just one big door. Depends on your current needs and what you think you will need in the future.

Only borrow money for things that make you money
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
I would recommend a 24' door at least also. Like the above poster said they are never big enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely go with a 24' door (or larger). You might not need it now, but eventually you will wish you'd went larger. If you do decide to go with a 20' door, may sure to build the building so it will be easier to upgrade to a larger door in the future. A little planning at this stage can save you a lot of grief and money later.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
We did 24' on our 50' x 60'. Suits the shop size and floor plan perfectly IMO. Once you build, nothing will be big enough, but it all comes down to dollars and sense.

Neil
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM

We had 20 foot door in our shop, wish it was a 40 foot door. Go as large as your $$$ will allow.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 PM

We are also in the process of puting up a new heated shop right now as well. After talking to a bunch of our neighbors and taking a good look at our own operation, we decided to go with 18' and 24' overhead doors with the removable post. We didn't like the slow speed of the bi-fold or hydraulic doors, we also didn't like that we would have to open the entire width of the door to run a smaller piece of equipment in. With this setup we can quickly run a piece of equipment in without risking heat loss and so on. We went with 24' and the 18' based on our equipment. We have a 4wd with triples and a combine with duals so we figured that we better have a 24' and we can then use the 18' for any of our smaller equipment. The only downside that we have had so far is that we had to increase the height of our shop due to the head room that overhead doors need.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanT17 View Post
We are also in the process of puting up a new heated shop right now as well. After talking to a bunch of our neighbors and taking a good look at our own operation, we decided to go with 18' and 24' overhead doors with the removable post.
What company makes these overheads with removable post's?

Does this post give you effectively a 42' wide overhead door? Am I understanding right?

Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
We have a 40 foot and a 20 foot door in our new shop. The 40 footer is really nice as you don't have to worry about leaving something sitting by the door and blocking access from other stuff trying to get in. The only downside is that you lose all your warm air instantly when that door opens up in the cold weather. The 20 foot is a little small, wish it would have been 24 feet wide.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Speaking of heat loss from an open door, last winter I was back in the receiving area/loading dock door area with one of the employees of a business and it was COLD out and it blew me away that I couldn't feel any cold air and was standing right next to the opening of that totally open overhead door. I asked him, what the heck sort of deal is this and he explained they had that installed a while ago and was called an air curtain system. I don't know if that one was a heated unit but I suspect it probably was but what a great concept to have when one had to open the big door in a shop and not freeze yourself out of there in the process. I have no idea how stupid expensive it would be but I'll add a link to a random company that I had found and it has a photo to get a better grasp of it.

JS Air Curtains - air curtains for all applications

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page