Ideas For A New Shop - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Barn
Ideas For A New Shop

We are setting up a new 60' x 120' shop this fall. I am looking for general ideas to make the shop better. I am trying to decide on how to set up my bulk oil storage, metal working area, office and bathroom area, etc. Any ideas or suggestions about anything in a shop would be appreciated and pics of your shops would be helpful as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ideas For A New Shop

we built a shop a few years ago, one thing i like, we had them put a red floor in, it is a red powder they troul into the cement. it makes the floor brighter a reflects light under the eguipment.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Barn

That's interesting. Never heard of such a thing for a shop floor. Might have to make mine green to match the equipment. Or maybe not. Any idea on extra cost or how much work to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The *Successful Farming* top shops has some great ideas. As far as bulk oil the one guy set up portable tanks with an air system so he could wheel it around the shop. Thats the way my shop will be everything on wheels roll tools/benches to the work. I am a fan of side buildings that aren't as tall for parts storage along with office and bathroom, if I am gonna have a space that is 60'x60'x18' tall I am gonna be able to use all of it for equipment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just built a 60x120 shop last year.
We ran pex hose in the concrete for all of our air lines. We have four doors on the long side and came up in between all of them through the concrete. Keeps the walls a lot neater when you dont have to go around the doors.

We also ran a lot of our plastic conduit for electrical through the concrete and it saved us a tonne of time and money, while once again keeping the wallspace free of clutter.

We poured drill stems into the floor for vices which really give a good solid base that wont move at all.

For parts and stuff we have a mezanine which is 16'x60' and is raised 10'. Underneath that we have offices and washrooms.

You'll love the space in a shop like this, I know we do
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Barn

That pex hose is a good idea. We plan on having a mezzanine over our office, just not sure how big we'll make it yet. I know we're either gonna have two 20' doors or 25' doors with a sliding mullion in one end and then a smaller door in the side for trucks and smaller equipment.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

You might want to consider sound proofing your office that way you wont hear the guys in the shop it gets pretty noise here sometimes. My shop is not and wish it was.
Joe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

put your office and bathroom as a lean to I have a 10x16 office/bathroom area and it takes up more space out of 48x92 than I thought that it would. also make your bathroom entrance accessible form shop area, not through office. i find that it is hard to keep the office clean, then I get distracted by the internet when walking through the office. Also don't put your air compressor on top of your office, that ends all phone conversations instantly. Research lighting very well, i have High bays (if I remember right) and after 5 years, wished I would have studied that better.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

Put in a drop room, or whatever you call it. Works slick when you're doing an inframe (can stand underneath the engine, instead of crawling in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page