Grease guns in cold weather - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Grease guns in cold weather

Anybody have any suggestions about what is the best grease gun for using in cold weather?

When I say cold, I mean anything from about 20 degrees Celcius down to freezing.

I am talking about manual grease guns, not electric or air operated.

I have the current model MacNaught K29, and while it is a little better than the old model, it still isn't much use in cold weather. Here it is - Macnaught - articles

The MacNaught sales reps at field days say that nobody has problems with the grease guns in cold weather. The MacNaught online contact says there has been no complaints since the updated model has been out.

I am currently using Caltex Liplex EP2 grease. I tried Caltex Delo EP2 grease but it was even worse. Mobil XHP222 was a waste of time. BP Energrease LC2 was not too bad, but it is very hard to get in this area, no distributors.

A neighbour has a Alemlube grease gun which works better in cold weather, but looks rather flimsy and may not last very long.

The MacNaught K29 is rather sturdy and well made. But it just doesn't do its job in cold weather.

Anybody else have trouble greasing in cold weather?

Anybody have any suggestions about other brands?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
I haven't owned an electric unit yet so its all by hand and what I've used for a number of years is Esso ... now Mobil Epic EP 102 grease. Its an NLGI grade 1.5 thickness and semi synthetic. I won't claim it pumps at the freezing point like it does on a summer day as that would be bs-ing a lot but its far better than a typical number 2 grade grease. They do make it in a moly version too and I have used some of that but thought better of using moly in everything and went back to the regular grease. I don't know how it compares price wise but I'd say buy a bit and try it out assuming its compatible with the other greases you've been using and I suspect it most likely is if they are all lithium type greases as well. Here's a link to the grease which also lists the moly and another thinner grease with high moly content that I have no experience with and I don't think its the best to use moly in some types of bearings anyway ... but bushings is the cats meow, hard to have a grease that can do it all.

Mobil Epic? Grease

post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
I've also had good luck with the John Deere manual grease gun... are you sure you are storing those tubes and guns right side up? All I've used for grease is some brand X stuff the local co-op sells, and as mentioned, the typical western Canadian farmer deals with temps well below the range you are experiencing in Oz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Use an EP-1 or 0 rating

This will help
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I remember my father shoving the grease gun into the exhaust pipe of the tractor for a couple of min on cold mornings. Not sure if it made it warmer to hold onto or made it work better. . This was in the day of plain wheel bearings that needed frequent lubrication.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
As I mentioned before about the grease I am using vs what had been used years ago which was always an EP 2 grease, It does puzzle me why there would be enough cold temps in Australia to cause any issue at all with grease. But never the less at 0c an EP 2 grease does stiffen up although if you are still having issues at 20c with grease, I'd be pointing to the grease gun or the type of coupler ends your using, or you have some damaged zerks and really warm grease can pass through where otherwise its more of a struggle. Just grasping at straws here as maybe us up in the northern States or Canada are used to things becoming stiff ... and we don't know any different
chance2 likes this.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Northern Farmer uses Mobil Epic 102 and I use Mobil EP Epic Moly. Very similar properties but I can pump the Epic Moly at -35C with no problem with any regular grease gun.

Mobil Epic EP 102 and Mobil Epic EP Moly have excellent low temperature dispensing and pumpability, as low as -40C and thermal stability in applications as high as 150C.

Mobil Epic? Grease

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
We use a manual lincoln heavy duty that works pretty well along with synthetic blended grease. After we bought the milwaukee m-18 cordless cold is a non factor. I know several companies make a 2 stage manual grease gun a higher pressure and a higher flow
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Never had a problem with any grease gun down to 0 C. Below that it's not too bad. Used to throw the grease gun in the exhaust of the cat to warm it up when it got down to -15 or lower. Made greasing all the cable pulley sheaves much easier to do. We've always used the regular blue grease and have never had problems with it. For most other equiptment when it's cold we have a grease gun inside where it's warmer for that purpose.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Hello CTS2
When I worked in the bush, I pumped many a tube of Co-op moly grease with an Alemite hand pump grease gun while greasing the skidder. & I'm not talking about 20 C, I'm talking about -20 C.
If you are having trouble with your grease gun at 20 C, throw that **** thing in the bush, but put it under a wheel & drive over it first, & then get yourself a real grease gun.

Thank You
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCatSHF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MCatSHF; 06-22-2015 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Typo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page