Shop door - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Shop door

I'm going to start building a shop this summer. The question I have is that I want a big door to be able get large equipment in if I need to. I can put a bi fold door and be plenty wide but then every time I open it in the winter, the shop will take forever to warm up. I want to put a double overhead door in it with a removable center. It has to work well and easy enough so I will actually want to use it though. Who makes these. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
some friends of ours put in a double door like your talking about and the only problem they have is in the winter when the frost heaves the floor sometimes they have trouble getting the center post in and out. we put in a 40 foot hydro swing and we had enough room to put in a 12 foot roll up next to it. so when pulling in small trucks you dont have to cool down the shop as much. one other draw back with the bifold is you loose head room. say if the door opening is 16 feet the way the door opens with the opener in the middle of the two sections you end up with only a 15 foot opening. with the one piece hydro swing you have the clearence of what your opening is. just some suggestions for you to think about good luck with your new shop.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
doors

zemcodoors.com or hanoverdoors.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Location: Adolphustown, Ontario, Canada , which is on North Shore Lake Ontario
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We went with a 34' and 24' wide roll up on each end of our shop.
Set them up with remote openers , we pull up to the door hit the remote drive in and hit the remote again before you are stopped and the door ends up being open for a very short period of time.
We have floor heat and within a few minutes we are back to near normal temp.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 PM

We have a bifold door on our cold storage building the door has 18' clearance height by 40' wide. the actual door frame mounts part way up the rafter so the door frame is about 21' high. When it is fully open you have the full height of your building 18'. We looked at the overhead doors with the moveable center but we lost 2 feet of head room to get things in. I didn't want to spend $2000 for an extra 2' building height to loose it in a door that costs more than the bifold. Since we got our door they have sped the motor up and have remote control up-down with remote latch as well. I know we don't have it on a heated shop but I don't think you would loose that much heat with the bifold depending on how much you are going in and out. I like 8010's idea with the seperate smaller door for every day use. We are thinking of building a shop as well and I am thinking we will have a bifold on it. Ours is a diamond door from Winkler Manitoba. I will watch this thread for any other door solutions and opinions hope this helps and enjoy the shop I am in envy.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I think the heated floor is a big difference on the heat recovery plus it dries the floor good and don't make it so cold working on the concrete.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 AM
711bert

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscjim View Post
I think the heated floor is a big difference on the heat recovery plus it dries the floor good and don't make it so cold working on the concrete.
he is right get floor heating in your shop its worth the money. air heating makes it to warm to work in and to cold of a floor to work comfortably on.

they have big doors that go 30 foot wide.
we have 2 doors with a centerpost. it works but the centerpost is sometimes a pain IMO.
Don't go with bifold doors on a shop. its just not the greatest.

and if you want quality shop doors go with the hanover doors, they are way better than the **** that we have in our shop. (jincx or somethings i dunno biggest piece of **** door i've ever seen)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got a quote from Hanover. 40 ft opening. One door 16 ft, other 24. Removable center post. 18 ft high. 19950$. Seems pretty reasonable. That's installed with openers and remotes. They have a video on their website, looks pretty slick.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
We have been looking at different door designs for a future heated shop. Could anyone who has put in a 40ft door comment on how often you need or use a 40ft width of opening? Would a large overhead door such as a 24ft+ size would get the majority of the equiptment in and out of your shop? It seems like the equiptment keeps getting bigger. With a 40ft header width you still won't get it in a 40ft door. We are wodering if it is wise to put in the largest overhead door and leave it at that or do you feel it is a mistake not putting in a large 40 ft door into a heated shop?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM

the big door is nice to have you would be surprised how often it comes in handy. like i said in another post is if you have the room to put a smaller one next to it they come in handy also so your not always opening the big door and cooling down the shop just to pull in a pickup or bringing in smaller things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page