plasma cutter - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We have a Hypertherm Powermax 65 and it works great for us. Talked with a neighbor who does a lot of metal work before getting ours and he recommended the Hypertherm over a Miller he had. We have had good luck, but we don't use it really heavy. I have cut 1 inch material no problem, just went slower. I've been going to try it on an old tractor drawbar to make some press blocks but haven't tried it yet. It is great not having to grind the cuts when done. Just hit the little slag there is with a chipping hammer and it is clean. We hardly use the torch anymore except to heat things and on bearings. I agree that it is more of a luxury than a neccessity, but it is very nice to have and after having it I wouldn't want to be without it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
We have a hypertherm pm65 and love it. It cuts 1/2" easily. I have cut 1 1/4" with it. Really like the gouging feature. Ours has the 50ft torch which is great. I would buy another in a heart beat.
Didn't know you could get a 50 foot long cable for them. That wouldn't be to bad then if wired in direct. Before we started making our pull dozers this winter we were contemplating buying a big bandsaw. Glad we never as the big tubing would be to yard to wrestle into the saw. Kinda wishing we would have maybe bought a big plasma for the 1" plate. We are going through oxygen like it's going out of style. Probably would be way cheaper cutting with the plasma. Between the two of them we probably will use 10+ big bottles, not counting acetelyne. The first week our neighbour was using his torches off his truck because he doesn't like propane. After he saw how long a 20lb bottle of propane last compared to acetelyne, he is using our torch from inside the shop.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
For mild steel I think the propane torch cuts cleaner than acetylene. We've used a propane torch for nearly 30 years. Not sure who sold my grandfather on it, but we're definitely glad of it. We only use acetylene for brazing, but our local welding shop said brazing works alright with propane, so we've started trying that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
The extension for a plasma cutter is on the cutting torch.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
You use more oxygen with propane than with acetylene. But the difference in price more than balances out to propane having the advantage cost wise.

With a regular acetylene torch with a propane tip, you get a slightly colder flame. This was over come with the torch that was designed specifically for propane, it is carburated differently. I believe an outfit in Red Deer was building them, have some info on it somewhere as was considering getting one a few years back.

I have always used propane myself and have also used acetylene many times over the years when working out, and with your flame and pressures set right, I find little difference. Possibly a bit longer preheat with propane on heavier materials.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Acetiline works better for cutting bearings. I think there is a Venturi in a propane torch
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I bought a little millere extreme 375 a couple years ago and love that thing!!!!! Wish I had one 20 years ago so handy to use. I also Wish I would have went a size bigger though this one cuts up to 3/8" only. Great on thin metal.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
So are any of those multi process machines that also have plasma ability such as the Everlast brand, are they more trouble than they are worth to own. I realize they can't do more then one thing at once, and also have to be fiddled with to convert over to another process which could be a real pain if one wants to use it to weld and cut with.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
I have an Everlast. Stick, TIG, Plasma. They would be great for the home garage. The TIG is ok and the plasma works. I would sell it for a stand alone plasma cutter that works good. Thermadyne? Something of those sorts that I have tried. Stick welding, the Everlast inverter makes the best stick welder I have ever used. Never tried another inverter type stick welder. The leads are way to short. Maybe 10ft. For farm shop that they may get used once to twice per week just for the plasma cutter. Get a better plasma cutter. Consumables almost have to be ordered from Everlast. I have not found them in a weld shop around me.

To add. If you are cutting steel in straight lines. Strongly suggest a circular saw for steel. I have a cheap harbor freight one. Works like cutting wood with a nice clean cut. LOUD! Wear ear plugs.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchek View Post
Didn't know you could get a 50 foot long cable for them. That wouldn't be to bad then if wired in direct. Before we started making our pull dozers this winter we were contemplating buying a big bandsaw. Glad we never as the big tubing would be to yard to wrestle into the saw. Kinda wishing we would have maybe bought a big plasma for the 1" plate. We are going through oxygen like it's going out of style. Probably would be way cheaper cutting with the plasma. Between the two of them we probably will use 10+ big bottles, not counting acetelyne. The first week our neighbour was using his torches off his truck because he doesn't like propane. After he saw how long a 20lb bottle of propane last compared to acetelyne, he is using our torch from inside the shop.
Our pm 65 will cut 1" if you go slow and start at the edge. Our 65 is hooked up to 50amp plugs with no problems it is also able to run on 480 which is why I originally bought it though I haven't hooked it up yet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page