plasma cutter - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
brs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
plasma cutter

What is a good brand of plasma cutter looking for farm use not commercial thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Honestly if your cutting thicker than 1/2 inch unless you buy a $5000+ one you will be disappointed. If your cutting thick steel a good oxy setup with good tips matched to the steel thickness will cut quite fast and clean. We looked at plasma to cut 1/2 and 3/4 plate and a plasma with that capability's and speed was big dollars. however if you cut lots of thin steel and need clean cuts a plasma will work great. For farm use generally a torch is best

Boondock Farmer likes this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Hypertherm I believe is the most recommended here. One that maxes out at 1/2" runs about $2200 or so. I agree with Alfred you still need a torch. Unless you're doing a lot of fab work on heavy plate etc does it justify a $5000 cutter? I would love the $2200 cutter as cutting 2/7/8" pipe it works good and the thin stuff especially. But for the amount of anything over 1/2" I cut I'd be wasting my money with a big one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
We just have a little Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 and it works great for farm use, though sometimes I wish we had the Cutmaster 85. We mostly cut 1/4" and smaller steel with it, but it will do 1/2" okay. Most farms don't work with steel over 1/2". I doubt most farmers are making their own pulldozer like duchek is doing.

This plasma cutter is without a doubt one of the most useful things we've ever bought for the farm. We use it all the time for small repair and fabrication jobs. We hardly use our oxy torch anymore. It's only ever used for heating, bending, brazing, or cutting really thick steel.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper21 View Post
Hypertherm I believe is the most recommended here. One that maxes out at 1/2" runs about $2200 or so. I agree with Alfred you still need a torch. Unless you're doing a lot of fab work on heavy plate etc does it justify a $5000 cutter? I would love the $2200 cutter as cutting 2/7/8" pipe it works good and the thin stuff especially. But for the amount of anything over 1/2" I cut I'd be wasting my money with a big one.
X2 for hypertherm
X2 for the size (XP 30, clean cut up to 3/8, about $2000)
X2 for you still will need a torch
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Well I am going to disagree a bit on a few points....

Go big. I have a Thermaldynamics 102. The salesman didn't want to sell me the 100amp model, but I am glad I spent the extra $600 on it. It cost just over $3000 at the time, and came with a promo of a small portable 110V welder. The plasma spends most of its time with 80amp and 60amp tips in it, with the 100's and 40's getting used less often, but still get used. There is rarely a day that is doesn't get put to work on a job of some kind. The torch still gets used, but only for heating stuff and cutting off bearings etc. There is very little slag with the plasma, and what is there is easily knocked off. Only drawback of the 102, is that it needs to be direct wired, as plugs that large are cost prohibitive, and likely to fail. Mine is on a boom that can telescope out into the shop. If you need more length, you can get lead extensions. The other thing to make sure of is to keep an extra air dessicant/filter on hand. It will work extremely poor with damp/dirty air.

I look at the size as of the plasma the same buying a different tractor. Would you buy one that is just big enough for the equipment you have? Or would you like a few extra ponies for those few times you need it?
w-mFarms likes this.

Myles
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
What do they mean by maximum sever cut? Some of them say something like 1/2" cut but up to 7/8" sever cut?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 PM
crw

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsigg View Post
What do they mean by maximum sever cut? Some of them say something like 1/2" cut but up to 7/8" sever cut?
It means it can cut 1/2" good and if you go slow and careful you can get it to just cut 7/8". At least that is the explanation I got when I asked.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
I've got a hypertherm Powermax45 it has been a good machine for general farm shop work. The oxy/acetylene setup has been semi retired only getting used for heating and bending stuff.
V876 likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Like others have said depends on what your going to be cutting most of the time. I bought a hypertherm 65 and love it can cut one inch pretty easy if you take you time makes short work of anything 1/2 inch or less was around 3300 on sale has the bigger 85amp torch so it doesn't burn tips as fast when you cut lots of thick metal. would never go back to a torch for a primary cutting tool way cheaper to run and imo makes a nicer cut a torch has its place don't get me wrong. The guys at welders supplies basically told me hypertherm was the only one to buy best quality and would last the longest if you use it quite a bit. they are definitely not the cheapest but ive had mine over a year and never any issues. Also the gouging setting is nice to blow out old welds to re weld spots or you can use it to cut channels into steel to weld deeper into it. I've only used a thermal dynamcis a few times at a buddies it worked good one thing the hypertherm has that im not sure if the new thermal dynamics has or not is the cutting tip on the hypertherm is a drag tip which makes cutting super nice and simple just pull the trigger and drag it along the steel and your cutting no worrying about how close or far away you are from the steel. I think no matter what you buy as long as its not too small youll be happy with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page