Ridgelight or sidewall clear panels? - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SWFarmService

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Ridgelight or sidewall clear panels?

Building a new cold storage shed would like some natural light just wondering which is better Ridge light or a clear side panels on the side walls? Looking for input good or bad experiences with either?

When life gives you lemons
Break out the Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Nobody has any experience with either?

Break out the Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have clear ridge cap on my 60 x 120 that was built in 2014. I like the light it provides but if I was to do it over again I'd have windows installed up high. Had a small hailstorm this summer that busted holes in ridge cap. I would hate to see what happens in a big hailstorm. I didn't do clear sidewall sheets as to me over time they will shrink and not match up to the tin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Ridge is all I'd do. We put partial clear sides in up high kind of like windows as well as the ridge in a 60 x 144. We regret doing the side ones. They look kind of goofy and don't really provide any added light.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
If you want light I would say buy cheap windows, even used ones, better in the long run IMO
whtbaron likes this.

God Bless America
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
We have 2 buildings with ridge lighting... one leaks. If I ever get around to insulating the ceiling on the 2nd one to stop the condensation, the ridge lighting becomes obsolete anyway. I 2nd SW's suggestion on windows. It doesn't take many to equal what the ridge lets in anyway.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We have a couple buildings with the ridge lights. We were lucky enough to have a major hail storm and it got smashed to pieces and had to get replaced. They definitely give adequate light but I too would consider the high windows
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
If I wanted extra light I would 100% go real glass windows (up high). Cost is negligible. However depending on the size length of your planned building, they may not even be necessary. Anything over 80' deep I would say extra light available at the back is nice to have. It does not take much of a window opening to make a big difference in a dark cavern either.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the info
I was wondering if the ridge leaked
I like the idea of putting Windows in the sides might be the way to go if I can find enough for the right money

Break out the Tequila
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V876 View Post
Building a new cold storage shed would like some natural light just wondering which is better Ridge light or a clear side panels on the side walls? Looking for input good or bad experiences with either?
Putting up a 80x160x22' building right now, and after looking at 8 or so other storage sheds we went 10-4x4' windows on each side. 8 up high and 2 low. Clear Ridge caps are not covered under warranty and are oftened damaged or leak. Same was said about clear side panels. We felt the windows were money well spent in the long run. We also sheeted the exterior so if we ever decide to insulate it it is ready.

If power is close by the cost of lights was about the same as windows so a guy could go that route as well. Most of these sheds with big bi fold doors require a lot of power in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page