Finishing Shop Need Ideas and Advice - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
We are planning on having a heated floor running PEX every foot on top of 2 inch high density foam and 15 mm rebar at 12 in if I do spray foam it'll be two or three in and probably R-20 bats walls are 2 by 8 construction.

Like the idea of running drainage tile out a side hill but worried that mice or rats me use it as an entry way

Thought about running foam between the strapping on the outside but it would be a bit of a job now that the tin is already done could possibly pull the corners off or a couple of sheets and slide foam between the two by four strapping. Will have to look into this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Shop is Built with 2 x 8 studs and sitting on 2 x 10 wide grade beam on fourteen foot piles. Contractor out of Kinistino put up the shop.Happy with his work so far.

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
I did my pump house with spray foam. Expensive but wow does it keep heat. A buddy was saying if you want to cut cost is to put polystyrene sheets up and spray form joints. My theory is if you went as far as you did, don't cheap out now so go with 100% spray foam. With drainage, put a septic style setup. A solid tank joined to a "grey water" tank to pump out.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice looking shop! Iam in the process of putting one up this year as well . One thing I would am doing before I pour the floor is digging in a conduit that runs under the cement floor and 90’s up at the inside wall. That way u can run power or air lines to your opposite side without having to go around the perimeter
Transaxial likes this.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
If you have 2x8 studs could you just push in strips of fibreglass from the inside between the straps to go between the tin and face of the 2x8. If you have a 2x8 I would put in two layers of fiberglass batts in the cavity staggered. I would have a 2x6 batt outside and stagger 2x4 batts with the overlaps at a different place on the 2 x 6 batts. Put in a 18 inches of cellulose or r 60 in the attic. If you what the sales at lowes or rona you will be able to do the batt and cellulose in attic for a fraction of the cost of spray foam and have great r value as well. The key with batts is to make sure everything is tight and there is no air space on the sides or ends of the batts. For cement I would not go less than a 1/8 inch per foot slope if you want the floor to drain. I would buy a couple sump pits from the septic tank maker in Weyburn call Sirous Valley Industries. The owner who's name I think is Dustin is a great help to talk to you about your drain. If you are worried about a thermal break and do not want to put in vapour barrier you could put in a layer of silver board or ridgid foam on the inside before you put the sheeting. The best place to buy silver board is a lowes on sale. This would be a lot more effective than the spray foam because you would have a thermal break on the wood. Our garage has a 2x8 walls made from staggered 2x4 walls wiith batt insulation, r 60 cellulose in the attic, and 2 inches of silver board styverfoam in the floor. It is easy to heat and has worked great.

Last edited by SouthernSK; 04-27-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpprCrk View Post
Nice looking shop! Iam in the process of putting one up this year as well . One thing I would am doing before I pour the floor is digging in a conduit that runs under the cement floor and 90s up at the inside wall. That way u can run power or air lines to your opposite side without having to go around the perimeter
Good idea, was planning on digging in conduit for a sub panel across the shop from the main panel , might have to make it bigger to accommodate other things.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Don't skimp too much on the floor slope as the cement contractor usually can't get the slope perfect so a bit more will prevent wet spots where you park the 1/2 ton . After the floor has cured I would suggest putting some form of sealant on so it won't absorb oils and it will protect it against salt . I built a new shop and now wished I had done that . I have a u drain in the floor to a 3x3 pit which has a wall in like a septic tank to keep the sediment and oil from getting to the pump and am very happy with the decision to put in but the supply company sold me the large u drain where there is a nice small 4" one now available .. Don't forget to mark where the lines for the floor heat come from so you have an idea which lines go where after the concrete is poured . I have a sump pump going out to an ejector which works great in the winter for the floor drain as I wash off the 1/2 tons in the winter . And yes put the sump away from the middle of the floor which would be easy with u drains .
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 PM

Location: Adolphustown, Ontario, Canada , which is on North Shore Lake Ontario
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We redid the north wall of our shop and office with spray foam this winter, (due to one of my neighbors driving into it with his SUV), compared to the vapour barrier and bats that was there since new in 1998 , the spray foam is far superior so far for heating costs.
Most of that wall of the building is concrete block with steel studding with the interior dry walled , we put 4" of spray foam on it.
112' of wall 10' tall with a number of windows in it was $6,100.00.

Mark
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Want to put a fan in,how big of a fan do I need and at what height?
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Lots of good suggestions. Did our shop in 1988, 30 years of good use, best investment on the farm. We built a 2x6 wall offset with second 2x4 wall. This gives a thermal break and R32. Poured a slab, 6", sloped to middle and floor drains to septic holding tank. Even if not washing, lots of snow melts off stuff in winter. Used a half and half boiled linseed oil and paint thinner mix to seal concrete after well cured. Redid the sealing about 5 years later and floor is still perfect, no dust, oil will not stain. At 6" deep on outside of walls we put a 24" wide R 10 Styrofoam horizontally to stop the frost. Make sure there is metal into the ground to prevent rodents and mice. We have a 18" fan at top of wall opposite the door.

Transaxial likes this.

Finally warmer, seeding in progress(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page