Finishing Shop Need Ideas and Advice - The Combine Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Finishing Shop Need Ideas and Advice

Buildings up need ideas on how to finish it. Still need to pour floor, insulate and sheet inside. Seriously considering spray foam, has anyone been sorry using spray foam? Any recommendations on companies or products on spray foam?
I am planning on pouring a 6"floor and sloping the floor to the middle. Not planning on doing any washing inside the shop. I don't want to put a u-drain system in but thinking of running a 2 x 4 down the middle and pulling it out after it poured with 2 small sumps draining into a tote or 45 gallon drum with a 2" pump.Planning a 2 inch slope to the middle. Is this idea workable?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180419_151812_1524795296411.jpg (4.12 MB, 359 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:34 PM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I think a 2 inch slope is a bit to much i would say a half inch per 100 foot will be more than enough and i would carry the concrete out under the hydraulic door and a little past it for your washing pad so you can keep a electric pressure washer inside the shop and just run the hose out the door

tswanson and radar like this.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Barn
2" of spray in and then 4" of bat in the walls is about the best there is, IMO.

And for the floor, at least put the piping in the floor for in floor heat even if you think you'll never go that way - Thought we'd never need it when we built our shop but sure wish we would have.
whtbaron and Daner like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
1/8” per foot slope is pretty standard.

I’d run non- perforated drain tile from the drain out 50’+ from building. Either dump out a side hill or the soil will absorb your moisture. Should have a separator but not always how it’s done either.

Edit: have heard guys foam only roof and some walls too. One guy did 1” on walls just seal up cracks, he was satisfied.

Have a colony with foam all over and floor heat. They never turn on the furnace I’m told.

Last edited by morb1lee; 04-26-2018 at 11:01 PM.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Pour a separate apron for the outside though so it dosnt crack a silly way with the temperature difference. Put lots of plug ins around so you don't need as many extension cords. And depending what you plan on doing in the shop consider sticking some floor anchors in for pulling and bending stuff perhaps.
chance2 and white owl like this.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Very nice! Who built it ?

Spray foam is good, will make it very rigid. Could save some money and do blow in for the ceiling, but get spray foam up into the edges of the ceiling. One problem with spray foam on a building like yours is, if you ever bang up a sheet of metal outside it’s hard to replace. I would get foam board the same thickness as your strapping and install it on the inside and get it tucked in behind posts than spray foam.

United Sprayfoam from Regina would be good I think. Had their roofing division do our house and it was good.

As far as cement and drain, I have this idea, run the pipe from the drain at proper depth outside, drill a decent size pile very deep, fill it with crush rock up to 6 ft depth than dirt. I think if there is only minimal water going in there it would work and be cheap and no pump.

Brent.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
For our drain we just cut off a 45 gallon plastic oil drum in half or so then ran a gravity pipe just under the cement to an old holding tank outside. That way you don't have to worry about a sump trying to pump out the pit with gravel and crap in it. We pump our holding tank out each fall but we don't wash inside so it's only minimal water. Can't remember how much slope we put on our floor, but wish it had been a little more maybe, have a couple spots where the water lays. Don't put your drain right in the middle of the floor either like we did, I would recommend at the front or back, in the middle seems to be in the way a fair bit.

Nice looking shop by the way!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
Looks sharp!
Do a good floor drain system, I can't imagine not being able to wash something inside in the winter and your from Canada! Don't fool yourself!

Even if your not doing floor heat I would consider doing insulation under the floor, you wouldn't believe how much heat is lost through the floor.
radar and white owl like this.

God Bless America
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
It is nice to see some roof overhang over the walls. Is the building a pole building and are you going to be sheeting or putting tin inside? If you are going to sheet the inside with plywood or tin you could just fill the wall cavity with cellulose. It would be cheap, easy to do yourself, great r value, and rodent proof.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
For our drain we just cut off a 45 gallon plastic oil drum in half or so then ran a gravity pipe just under the cement
I did this as well, seems to work good. I would recommend perforated tin on ceiling for noise suppression. I used 3/4" PEX to supply air to various areas of the shop. Make sure you get a nice smooth finish on the cement as it sure makes it easier to sweep.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page