LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF cowboy View Post
How is that???
Yyou must be darn lucky.
Every time I purchase 134a I am asked if I am certified.
Certification to purchase ozone depleting substances in Canada has been required since 1993.
I've been buyin from the same place for 15 yrs a couple bottle a yr I go threw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
The rules have been there since February of 92? Use to have the sign hanging in the shop.
I don't know what the story is now because you can now buy 8oz cans or something goofy like that.
I've got the certificate somewhere, first time I was ever asked for it was a couple months ago but I guess my supplier had a way to verify it.
I usually go through 7-8 bottles a year.
If I read read right, anything under 2lbs

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
I guess my local Napa has to put the certificate number on the sales ticket for tracking purposes on all big tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Quote:
Every time I purchase 134a I am asked if I am certified. Certification to purchase ozone depleting substances in Canada has been required since 1993.
I thought R134a was introduced to replace other refrigerants because it wasn't ozone depleting.

We can still buy cans of the stuff here in Alberta without a license but that's not the larger bottles of course. I assume it's R134a. Didn't look too closely but it claims to be compatible with R134a systems anyway.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
Quote:
Every time I purchase 134a I am asked if I am certified. Certification to purchase ozone depleting substances in Canada has been required since 1993.
I thought R134a was introduced to replace other refrigerants because it wasn't ozone depleting.

We can still buy cans of the stuff here in Alberta without a license but that's not the larger bottles of course. I assume it's R134a. Didn't look too closely but it claims to be compatible with R134a systems anyway.
It was, but it's now something that worsenes global warming or something
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
The crap you're buying in small cans is just that, crap. It usually contains a sealant that reacts with oxygen to form a plug (to "fix" the leak that caused the loss of refrigerant in the first place), and when you fail to evacuate your system before shooting that garbage in, it will eventually just gum up your entire system. The chemical compound itself usually contains hydrocarbons like propane and butane, which have similar properties to the refrigerants that are supposed to be used, but are flammable hydrocarbons...!!! I hate dealing with a system that has been contaminated by crap like Duracool or whatever, I refuse to hook up my equipment to something that has the mechanical equivalent of an STD.
albertabuck likes this.

Service and repairs to all makes and sizes of heavy equipment. (403)556-2210
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Barn
What is the format of an A/C certification number? I.E. number of characters, any spaces or hyphens, all numbers or some letters, etc.

If I knew the format, I wonder if a random sequence would get the job done to let me buy a bottle?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
I buy small cans with no dye no sealant no oil. Sealant just makes a mess
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post

R134a was never sold in Canada in the small cans.
Our neighbours in the USA however were able to buy it in the small cans.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainviewTruck View Post
The crap you're buying in small cans is just that, crap. It usually contains a sealant that reacts with oxygen to form a plug (to "fix" the leak that caused the loss of refrigerant in the first place), and when you fail to evacuate your system before shooting that garbage in, it will eventually just gum up your entire system. The chemical compound itself usually contains hydrocarbons like propane and butane, which have similar properties to the refrigerants that are supposed to be used, but are flammable hydrocarbons...!!! I hate dealing with a system that has been contaminated by crap like Duracool or whatever, I refuse to hook up my equipment to something that has the mechanical equivalent of an STD.
I agree and I won't touch anything contaminated either. I really wish guys would think twice before dumping some of that crap into an otherwise up to date system. What might seem like a cheap fix today will be ten fold as expensive down the road if you ever want it fixed properly. For something you only need temporary,then I could see it, but even then I won't go there myself, I'll open windows first.

1972RedNeck likes this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page