Shop door questions - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
We have bifolds on our storage sheds. Our electrician installed a plug on the outside of shed to plug a generator in, switch on the inside to select power source.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
We have dual overhead, its better for shop, a shop is not storage for combine unless you wanna harvest corn in the cold.

Bifold in winter sucks opening 40ft at once to drive a truck or fwa tractor out

torriem likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
No issue with closing bifolds in the wind, unless you have a door open on the other side of the shop in which the wind is blowing into. When that scenario arises, I close the windward door first, or just leave them open. Those things can weather a pretty good storm in the raised position. Granted, these are only on a cold storage shop. I had looked at hydraulic, but ultimately decided against them because they would scoop up snow after a blizzard, if there is any drifting at all around the door. Bottom of a bifold tucks in, so no issues opening it in a big snow....except that time I had a 6' drift and kinked a couple tin siding panels on the one side of the door because I neglected to check before opening. I have a 24' overhead, and I wouldn't put an overhead of any width on a shop again. Weight/tracking/maintenance, and loosing 18"-24" clearance on your cieling, thus needing to build your entire building 2' higher to get the clearance you want, or need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
We're about to start building a large steel shop, from Prairie steel. We've got it engineered for a 40 foot door in the side wall, and the plan is to put in two insulated overhead doors with a movable post. We thought about bifolds but feel like the double overhead door fits our needs better. In the winter we'll most often only open one of the double doors (likely to get the snow plow in and out). A remote in the tractor will be nice.

Regular lubrication of the wheels and hinges will go a long ways to making an overhead door work properly over time. I have had a lot of problems with the openers themselves (burned out transformers, bad relays, failed microswithes), but rarely have problems with the doors and tracks.

Last edited by torriem; 09-12-2018 at 12:13 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_melnyk View Post
No issue with closing bifolds in the wind, unless you have a door open on the other side of the shop in which the wind is blowing into.

Diamond Doors now offers a column follower option that holds the bottom of the door to the door column as the door raises or lowers. My door does not have that option and you have to be careful if you have another door open and the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.
K_melnyk likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
My shop has a 32' wide by 19' tall door on the end.
The side of the shop has a 30' by 18' door.
Both doors are overhead doors by Wayne-Dalton. They are a 2 inch insulated door. They do make a 3" door as well.

Very happy with the doors, very well built and seal 100%.

Installed by Dennis Mobile Glass out of Taber. Would highly recommend them and the Wayne-Dalton door.

I like the size of the doors and have not needed to have a wider door. I have put a 35' swather in through the 32' door one time and that was the widest equipment I have needed to get in there. We changed oil in the combine yesterday and backed in with the 45' header still on. Header stayed outside. Don't really know whey you would need a 40' door for a shop, but each to their own.

The doors open and close very fast and there is no air leaks when the wind is blowing in the winter. Have remotes in every all the equipment and vehicles we park in side regularly.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We have a 36'x20' bifold door on the south side of our shop. Closing the door while windy doesn't seems to be a big issue, but opening the door in a strong wind often pops the breaker for the door. I love our bifold, wouldnt do without it. We also have a 20'x18' overhead door on the north end of the shop. We mostly use it in the winter to bring in vehicles and smaller equipment. When we do use the bifold in the winter, the shop will cool down a degree or 2, but VERY quickly warms back up.

Overhead door does seal better than the bifold, but that being said we find we dont lose a whole lot of heat out the bifold either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page