Used Steel Building - Unsure What To Do - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Barn
Used Steel Building - Unsure What To Do

So we've been looking to add a little machinery storage. Nothing too serious, but we've been keeping our eye out for a used steel building as they seem to be able to be had for cheap sometimes. My brother's father in law came across a good used one for $35K in Utah (600 miles away). Completely dissembled, just has to be trucked to Montana.

Anyone know how much it would weigh (how many tuck loads)? 21' sidewalls and clear span. What would it cost (rough ballpark) to get someone to erect it?

At 200' wide and 400' long, it would be WAY overkill but it would take care of added storage on the farm for a couple generations to come (we are only looking to add about 8,000 square feet, not 80,000) but 43 cents per square foot is pretty cheap machinery storage...

Thoughts? Is it even feasible or is it going to take a quarter million dollars or more by the time it's all said and done? (which would still be reasonable on a square foot basis, but we can really only budget about $100K)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Only thought I have is that you wouldn't have to build the whole building. A 200 ft square building would still be huge and maybe you could sell the other half to someone. Or you could build the whole thing and put in a couple of hockey rinks lol.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
I'll take the other half!!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
2.25 lbs for every square foot is a good starting point for your trucking estimate. And donít forget loading and unloading costs at each end. Crazy good price for the building though. Big building like that is probably tall. Probably need a crane to erect it, price probably jumps pretty fast. Best would be to get all inclusive bids for reconstructing I think.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
If you happen to know the brand see if you can find extrection plans.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Farmer View Post
2.25 lbs for every square foot is a good starting point for your trucking estimate. And donít forget loading and unloading costs at each end. Crazy good price for the building though. Big building like that is probably tall. Probably need a crane to erect it, price probably jumps pretty fast. Best would be to get all inclusive bids for reconstructing I think.

Loading on a truck is included in the $35K.

2.25 lbs. isn't too bad, that's only 4 truck loads - I was thinking it would be way more than that.

Not sue what pitch the roof is, but yeah, a crane would be a must. What is each truss and post assembly going to weigh? 200' of clear span would take a heck of a beam.

Not even sure who to call to get a construction quote from... We could dig and pour the footings ourselves no problem so we just need someone to assemble it for us.

Quote:
Quote:
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswanson View Post
Only thought I have is that you wouldn't have to build the whole building. A 200 ft square building would still be huge and maybe you could sell the other half to someone. Or you could build the whole thing and put in a couple of hockey rinks lol.

The thing is, I don't think we would be saving much by only putting up 1/2 - yes, it would still be way more than we need, but while everything is setup to build it, might as well build the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morb1lee View Post
If you happen to know the brand see if you can find extrection plans.

Will put a call in to the owners and see.

Quote:
Quote:

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
A 200' wide clear-span building with 21' eave height? That's gonna have some hefty rafters. Also some pretty major horizontal and vertical loads at the baseplates that need to be accounted for in the foundation. I work for a contractor, our buildings are typically on drilled concrete piles, and need to have rebar tying in the baseplate loads to the floor slab.

This is a major project that IMO you need an engineer and an experienced builder for, so I'd start there if I were you. At least get an engineer so they can tell you what you need to do for foundations etc to make sure it doesn't fall down, and have them inspect the work as it goes along. And don't get the local hinkydink engineer; get one that does metal buildings regularly. A good one will be worth every penny he charges. It's not his time you're paying for, it's his knowledge.

Wild ass guess (from another country) for cost of erection might be 7-12/sf down there if the building is simple enough and there are no issues during the build.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Could always lease the extra space to a neighbor if someone was needing some storage.
1972RedNeck likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marusko View Post
A 200' wide clear-span building with 21' eave height? That's gonna have some hefty rafters. Also some pretty major horizontal and vertical loads at the baseplates that need to be accounted for in the foundation. I work for a contractor, our buildings are typically on drilled concrete piles, and need to have rebar tying in the baseplate loads to the floor slab.

This is a major project that IMO you need an engineer and an experienced builder for, so I'd start there if I were you. At least get an engineer so they can tell you what you need to do for foundations etc to make sure it doesn't fall down, and have them inspect the work as it goes along. And don't get the local hinkydink engineer; get one that does metal buildings regularly. A good one will be worth every penny he charges. It's not his time you're paying for, it's his knowledge.

Wild ass guess (from another country) for cost of erection might be 7-12/sf down there if the building is simple enough and there are no issues during the build.

Have an uncle that has his PE and is a head engineer for a large all around construction company - would be letting him call the shots on the foundation.

Agreed with the professional builder for erection - I'm sure it will cost WAY to much - even $5/sq ft would be $400K but I will put out some calls and see if I can get some quotes.

Quote:
Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page