Build your own shop building - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Build your own shop building

So we could really use a larger shop. Didnít book any of the big companyís so a before winter building wouldnít be likely.

Anyone roll their own lately? Post frame or stud?

Have guys around, lifting craneís etc and google so Iím sure we could manage it but the easy button where they come and 2 days later itís up sure is tempting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
How big you going ? I have seen a lot of these crews that do it all the time Fck it up, so you don’t have much to lose tackling it yourself.

Brent.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Are you needing cold storage or a heated shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Heated shop. Maybe 60x100 or so. Need bigger but that’s all the room we have unless I tear down the old shop first.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
60x100 3 of us built our selves. Poured concrete on October 31 and we were done by spring.
hihi962 likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Do you think you came out ahead or wish you’d just pushed the easy button?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
From my estimates of the three buildings I have done in the last two years, it looks like 25% of the cost is the labour and equipment (which is simply a skid steer for augering holes and a telehandler/lift of some sort). I donít have any help available so I would be hiring someone anyway so I donít have a choice.
UFA was the cheapest the last go around. I always get quotes from 3 builders.
And it is nice that the building is done in a few days and the people are gone. It hurts to pay for a building but as soon as it is done I feel the investment is good.
I believe a simple post frame generic storage building will add value to the property and not depreciate, though I have read articles that say otherwise.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Do you think you came out ahead or wish youíd just pushed the easy button?
This probably depends on his/your ability to look at someone else's mistakes for as long as you have the building. I've never seen a project yet where I didn't wish I was there for every minute of the build. I have a pole shed that I fear for the equipment inside every time we get a heavy snow. The whole thing was a poor job and shallow post burial, I was putting NH3 on at the time and never saw any of it until after. If you are going to be there all the time and have the equipment may as well build it yourself, or at least hire someone who is okay with you helping as you are able.
Ben Heide and Transaxial like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
If you hire it done you have two choices. Either be there the whole time nagging about every little thing and wish you had done it yourself or leave and come back when its done.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
In my opinion a cold storage shed is great to do with poles. With the amount of extra investment in a heated shop like floor and drains, insulation, wiring and plumbing, heating system, maybe cranes and other specialized equipment like air lines, welder plug ins, special doors, lighting, etc. etc. I have always thought it was worth some extra cost to build a longer life structure on a good insulated concrete grade beam. I built a 40x60x16 in the early 90s (and consider it one of the best investments I ever made) on a 4' insulated grade beam (two feet in and two feet out of ground) and think that is a key to a warm floor and low heat cost. At the time my gas bill only increased on average $20/month and a max of $30 for the 6-7 months heat was a factor. That was a simple 125,000 btu infrared tube heater that has worked just perfect ever since. That was compared to just the house on gas and I keep the shop thermostat at 10-15 degrees always. Most of us don't care if a shop lasts 100 years but is there any reason it couldn't? Compared to pole life of 40-50 years or less. A few of the things I have really liked having is a sloped floor to drains, a warm dry floor with sealer and hardener makes cleanup easy, a 2 ton jib crane that can swing out the big door part way, lots of plugins (one per circuit and 2 circuits per plugin in high use areas) , use #12 wire and 20 amp breakers on the high use plugins around welding and where you might plug in high draw block heaters etc. out front, good lighting (originally I had 8' fluorescent tubes but have switched to 8' led tubes and like them), put some floor anchors into concrete under the crane and in the pad out front, they come in handy sometimes.

A nice warm shop is a treat to have, specially with our long cold winters where you can work in comfort and be productive all winter doing maintenance and building things. Just having a warm place to park your grain truck and loader tractor overnight makes life so much easier, not to mention everything last about 10 times as long. Good luck with your new shop!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page