2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grainline
  • 1 Post By ilbar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Replacing overhead door

I've got a 40 year old wood overhead door in my shop. 18' wide 12' high. The door has had it, everything else is fine. I'm being told by a couple places in Lethbridge I can't simply replace the door with new panels, I must replace everything mainly because the spring tension will be wrong. When I asked if the tension couldn't be adjusted they wouldn't really answer the question. Think they just want to sell me a complete new system. Does anyone here have experience doing this? It really seems a waste to me to replace the whole thing when all the hardware is fine. Also, between the 2 main places in Lethbridge that deal with doors like this, one quoted me almost twice the price what the other did. As far as I know, the same exact door. Stupid. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Throw that old **** in the bush and put a complete new door in. Imo not worth the Hassel to save a few $

ilbar likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainline View Post
Throw that old **** in the bush and put a complete new door in. Imo not worth the Hassel to save a few $
What he said. Put in new and get another 40 years out of it.
kevlar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
I have experience with this thanks to a storm. Just put new everything in. And buy a 2in thick door no matter what any of the door clowns tell you. And I would suggest StealCraft. There’s lots of cheap doors being sold nowadays that won’t take any kind of wind or stress and where meant for sheltered city jobs and not big open farm yards with loads.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfarmer View Post
I have experience with this thanks to a storm. Just put new everything in. And buy a 2in thick door no matter what any of the door clowns tell you. And I would suggest StealCraft. There’s lots of cheap doors being sold nowadays that won’t take any kind of wind or stress and where meant for sheltered city jobs and not big open farm yards with loads.
Try order right from stealcraft. It was 1/3 less to direct order for my garage then going through local lumber yards.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
We had an old reamer door in our garage for probably 40 years and it was just time to replace it as it was just rotting apart and only had paper for insulation . So went to a commercial door place called hanover door ( huts always call them ) and ordered a new door Was fairly expensive but a good quality door with an electric opener that drives the cable assembly not the center . Well two weeks later I run into the door pulling a truck out and destroy the bottom panel . So had hanover to replace the panel -- then a month later brother runs into bottom panel again and bends it pretty good but kind of straightened it and still using it but it has a nice crease in it . So moral of the story is shure you can put a nice shiny new door in but will it last like the old one ???
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Could you reuse parts probably should you probably not. Depending on the springs you have currently and the weights of the doors you could maybe adjust them to work but for how long. I would get a good commercial quality door with 3” rollers and heavy track and be done with it. It’s a heavy door if something goes wrong the potential for injury or damage is pretty high
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Seems like there's a consensus. Thanks for the replies.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswanson View Post
I've got a 40 year old wood overhead door in my shop. 18' wide 12' high. The door has had it, everything else is fine. I'm being told by a couple places in Lethbridge I can't simply replace the door with new panels, I must replace everything mainly because the spring tension will be wrong. When I asked if the tension couldn't be adjusted they wouldn't really answer the question. Think they just want to sell me a complete new system. Does anyone here have experience doing this? It really seems a waste to me to replace the whole thing when all the hardware is fine. Also, between the 2 main places in Lethbridge that deal with doors like this, one quoted me almost twice the price what the other did. As far as I know, the same exact door. Stupid. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. TIA.
I see this a fairly old thread and maybe you have your door replaced already but the thought occurred to me when you say 12' high overhead door, there is an option here to use a bifold or one piece hydraulic door and gain some ceiling height. Some of those old shops with 12' doors and 14' ceilings are just a foot too low for lots of newer equipment and since a bifold does not need much of a header, it could make a difference on usefulness of your shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in