Workbench/Tool Box Set-ups - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
We just got the 3/4 drive and that thing is unreal. Absolutely blows my mind. We were using it on main bolts on a ISX Cummins and it was making a 3/4 IR air impact look like a little bitch.

Grainline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
I just priced about $3500 worth of those tools from a different store. Will have to wait till that day!

Brent.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Yeah, I just switched to the Milwaukee camp. One of my makita batteries died so I grabbed a drill and 1/4" impact combo along with a 1/2" impact. Yet to try the small stuff but one battery pack on the took off the 8 bolts for the pillow block bearings and all but 2 lug nuts on the neighbours air seeder. Impressive. Only down side is it is heavy, I wouldn't want to use that daily. Looking at the chainsaw so I can have a bigger battery for the impact.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
Yeah, I just switched to the Milwaukee camp. One of my makita batteries died so I grabbed a drill and 1/4" impact combo along with a 1/2" impact. Yet to try the small stuff but one battery pack on the took off the 8 bolts for the pillow block bearings and all but 2 lug nuts on the neighbours air seeder. Impressive. Only down side is it is heavy, I wouldn't want to use that daily. Looking at the chainsaw so I can have a bigger battery for the impact.
The bigger battery makes the impact even heavier. I have a 9.0 and it will last a long time on the impact. Did all 4 sprayer wheels this spring and it still had a 1/2 charge left.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Love Milwaukee stuff and the shop was purely Milwaukee until I got tired of figuring out where guys left them and decided to buy a set of snap on electric tools that stays in my box (mainly just wanted a different brand to differentiate them). Gotta say, while Milwaukee is very good, Snap On is still superior. I know Snap On is pricey but if you’re patient you can accumulate a good set of tools between buy one/get one sales that they have on the truck and scouring kijiji or eBay. There are other good ‘lesser’ brands like Proto or Gear Wrench but every time I price them the difference just isn’t enough, especially if you’re comparing to blue point. To me having the truck stop by once or even every two months is worth the premium, the service on getting stuff warrantied is so much nicer than having to drive to town and fenagle with a teenager at Canadian tire or princess auto. Also have my snap on guys cell number so anytime I need something, all I gotta do is send him a text and he takes care of it. Hard to beat that IMO. I do still buy plenty of cheap stuff (although you should still buy the ‘higher quality’ of the cheap stuff like Pro-Point or Masters series Mastercraft), particularly tools that are for the group to use or the service truck, but for my personal tools you just can’t beat quality stuff. Will echo that stuff like wrenches (particularly flank drive plus), ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, electrical tools, hammers and pliers are where I’d concentrate getting high quality. And bars, no 1 thing I’d buy from snap on if you can are the bars.

I bought my box off kijiji and it was virtually unused and ended up less than half of what it would cost off the truck. Had to be patient tho and when the box popped up you can’t dilly dally, go get it right away with cash in hand.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kauppfarms; 05-25-2019 at 08:12 AM.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Don't tell that kid at Canadian Tire that you farm or they won't warranty the tool. If you read the fine print, the tools are not for professional use, even if they have" Professional" stamped on them.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
Don't tell that kid at Canadian Tire that you farm or they won't warranty the tool. If you read the fine print, the tools are not for professional use, even if they have" Professional" stamped on them.
Thanks, I didnít know I was a professional mechanic.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Local toolbox company in Red Deer called stryke industries. Very well built and they dont bend you over on prices.
I personally think a person is nuts buying all their tools off tooltruck. When I started as a mechanic you wouldve went broke filling your box up with snap-on. Yes air tools,specialty tools, and things like a 1/4" ratchet it sure is nice having good stuff. But the majority of tools dont be suckered into thinking gotta have the best.
When I first started I bought 1/2" impact sockets from peavey in the red cases. Still use them 9 years on. Never broke or screwed one up yet but it is a tool that gets misplaced often. My jumbo wrenches...from peavey. Bought them and never seen a reason to upgrade.
There was a guy in our area running a tool truck, woytowich tool sales, that sold proto, gearwrench, sunex, and many more names that I cant think of but still good quality. He was cheaper and some of those tools sure looked similar to the big names.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
30 years ago I bought a set of deep impact sockets in both metric and standard. They're branded ITC some Taiwan made brand I think. Still have them and haven't broke any although the common tire lug nut sockets are getting worn. Was an auto tech back in the 90' so they got used. The cheaper brand hand tools now a days have come along ways and they is so many choices. But certain speciality tools snap on or Mac make are hard to beat. Have a set of snap on impact swivels and snap on wasn't going to warranty one. Said its not defective it's worn out! I haven't bought a snap on tool since I stopped working in a shop in town where we had the tool trucks come by weekly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page