screw piles for farm shop - The Combine Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW Sask
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
screw piles for farm shop

Has anyone used screw piles for a farm shop post building. I have looked at virtually all the other options and am considering screw piles, just curious if anyone had used them and if so what size, and what you thought.

puddles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 PM
epe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
just built a 80x120 heated shop using screw anchors instead of concrete piles. poured a 2 ft grade beam on top of the screw piles using the styrofoam forms. Screw anchors were a better alternative than cement piles because of the higher water table. All the anchors were drilled in one day no mess and the contractor used a computer monitor gauge to measure torque to ensure the ground was strong enough to hold the weight of the building. Anchors were engineered to 15 ft in length and i think 16 inch diameter. ill have to recheck that spec. smart system and simple

chance2 likes this.
epe is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW Sask
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I assume you mean the helical was 16" diameter, do you know what the shaft diameter was and what height of walls did you go to. One other question are you stick building or pole give that you did a grade beam, I assume stick??
puddles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,853
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
What is the life expectancy of a a steel screw pile?
SouthernSK is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:52 PM
Senior Member
 
meskie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE sask Canada
Posts: 2,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
What is the life expectancy of a a steel screw pile?
When I built my house they told me longer then the house.
chance2 likes this.
meskie is online now  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coderre, SK
Posts: 3,580
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
What type of steel are they ? They won’t rust out ?

Brent.
bjtjjl is online now  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:39 PM
epe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
yes the helical was 16 inch and the shaft was 4 1/2 inch , ill check back with contractor as exact specs. yes it was stick built on grade beam but the general contractor was going to looking at possibility of attaching a sleeve to top of piles for pole type building i guess similar to integrity buildings with their cement pilings
epe is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:42 PM
epe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddles View Post
I assume you mean the helical was 16" diameter, do you know what the shaft diameter was and what height of walls did you go to. One other question are you stick building or pole give that you did a grade beam, I assume stick??
the building has 20 ft walls, 2x8
epe is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I am in the process of building a pole shed on screw piles. I can't tell you much yet because all that is done yet are the screw piles. As far as the screw piles are concerned I am extremely impressed. They are well below the frost level and anchored extremely well. I would not hesitate to choose this method again. I had wondered how they would square the building but they had it all figured out. They squared up and strung lines to know where to drill the screw piles in. They did as best they could to get them precise but due to ground conditions they were sometimes off by an inch or so. They then used a laser and cut off the tops of the screw piles at the proper height. Next they squared up and strung new lines that they used to position the brackets that they attach the poles to on top of the screw piles. The final step was to weld the brackets on. Everything should be as precise as possible. The building crew should be here within the next few weeks.
havin'funfarming is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coderre, SK
Posts: 3,580
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havin'funfarming View Post
I am in the process of building a pole shed on screw piles. I can't tell you much yet because all that is done yet are the screw piles. As far as the screw piles are concerned I am extremely impressed. They are well below the frost level and anchored extremely well. I would not hesitate to choose this method again. I had wondered how they would square the building but they had it all figured out. They squared up and strung lines to know where to drill the screw piles in. They did as best they could to get them precise but due to ground conditions they were sometimes off by an inch or so. They then used a laser and cut off the tops of the screw piles at the proper height. Next they squared up and strung new lines that they used to position the brackets that they attach the poles to on top of the screw piles. The final step was to weld the brackets on. Everything should be as precise as possible. The building crew should be here within the next few weeks.
I would be really interested to see some pics once the building crew starts installing posts.


Brent.
bjtjjl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check this out for a laugh or two, actually, hundreds now! Don Boles Other / Off Topic 1486 06-02-2019 10:53 AM
Farm shops toddt Announcements, Help, & Ideas 89 01-30-2019 05:58 PM
Hopper bins....Skids, screw piles or concrete piles woodytr99 Grain Handling Equipment / Transportation 8 12-28-2018 06:44 PM
SSTT side ways snake train tractor (idea for a new tractor possibly) boggen Fabrication and DIY Repair 68 04-03-2013 02:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome