screw piles for farm shop - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
screw piles for farm shop

Has anyone used screw piles for a farm shop post building. I have looked at virtually all the other options and am considering screw piles, just curious if anyone had used them and if so what size, and what you thought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 PM
epe

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
just built a 80x120 heated shop using screw anchors instead of concrete piles. poured a 2 ft grade beam on top of the screw piles using the styrofoam forms. Screw anchors were a better alternative than cement piles because of the higher water table. All the anchors were drilled in one day no mess and the contractor used a computer monitor gauge to measure torque to ensure the ground was strong enough to hold the weight of the building. Anchors were engineered to 15 ft in length and i think 16 inch diameter. ill have to recheck that spec. smart system and simple

chance2 likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I assume you mean the helical was 16" diameter, do you know what the shaft diameter was and what height of walls did you go to. One other question are you stick building or pole give that you did a grade beam, I assume stick??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
What is the life expectancy of a a steel screw pile?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
What is the life expectancy of a a steel screw pile?
When I built my house they told me longer then the house.
chance2 likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
What type of steel are they ? They won’t rust out ?

Brent.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:39 PM
epe

yes the helical was 16 inch and the shaft was 4 1/2 inch , ill check back with contractor as exact specs. yes it was stick built on grade beam but the general contractor was going to looking at possibility of attaching a sleeve to top of piles for pole type building i guess similar to integrity buildings with their cement pilings
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:42 PM
epe

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddles View Post
I assume you mean the helical was 16" diameter, do you know what the shaft diameter was and what height of walls did you go to. One other question are you stick building or pole give that you did a grade beam, I assume stick??
the building has 20 ft walls, 2x8
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I am in the process of building a pole shed on screw piles. I can't tell you much yet because all that is done yet are the screw piles. As far as the screw piles are concerned I am extremely impressed. They are well below the frost level and anchored extremely well. I would not hesitate to choose this method again. I had wondered how they would square the building but they had it all figured out. They squared up and strung lines to know where to drill the screw piles in. They did as best they could to get them precise but due to ground conditions they were sometimes off by an inch or so. They then used a laser and cut off the tops of the screw piles at the proper height. Next they squared up and strung new lines that they used to position the brackets that they attach the poles to on top of the screw piles. The final step was to weld the brackets on. Everything should be as precise as possible. The building crew should be here within the next few weeks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havin'funfarming View Post
I am in the process of building a pole shed on screw piles. I can't tell you much yet because all that is done yet are the screw piles. As far as the screw piles are concerned I am extremely impressed. They are well below the frost level and anchored extremely well. I would not hesitate to choose this method again. I had wondered how they would square the building but they had it all figured out. They squared up and strung lines to know where to drill the screw piles in. They did as best they could to get them precise but due to ground conditions they were sometimes off by an inch or so. They then used a laser and cut off the tops of the screw piles at the proper height. Next they squared up and strung new lines that they used to position the brackets that they attach the poles to on top of the screw piles. The final step was to weld the brackets on. Everything should be as precise as possible. The building crew should be here within the next few weeks.
I would be really interested to see some pics once the building crew starts installing posts.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page