Having office space/storage above - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
70x120ft with 30x70ft of that being a 2 story office/apartment. Actual shop space 70x90ft.

JD's are sitting over a drain where we wash or melt stuff. Double French walk doors go to small storage space with a break room that has a fridge, microwave and mud sink for washing hands. Single walk door goes to bathroom, conference room, and 3 offices.

Help has access to the bathroom and conference, but can be locked out of getting to the offices.

With this build, we considered the office the most important part. So we did what we could with budget/space, and lots of compromises were made between partners and what everybody wanted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190318_093230 (768x1024).jpg (428.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20190318_092553 (768x1024).jpg (425.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190318_092613 (768x1024).jpg (423.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Dustbowl farm; 03-18-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbowl farm View Post
Back to topic, for the OP.

We're still in the finishing up stages of doing and office/shop/apartment.

Doubt many can afford to do what they want, and even doing what you can is maybe more of a quality of life thing, than making financial sense.

Anyways, we had all the arguments posted here. Didn't want the noise or dust, or employee access to business stuff they maybe shouldn't see. Spending more money, when everybody already has an office at home, etc. etc.

But in the end, with 3 of us partners all having stuff at home. We wanted all the business stuff together, and then there's the Mice Will Play While The Cats Away. Figure we'll get more out of the help if we're putting in the hours in an office, vs going home and leaving them unsupervised. Plus it gives a place to meet with business people who come out like insurance, bank, etc., vs meeting them at your house.

So with money, or lack there of, plus tight space requirements. We did a two story office/aparment in one end of the shed. We pushed the numbers on every conceivable way of doing it, and this was the only way to fit our budget and space.

Lean to would probably have been better and in budget if we had the room. Seperate office while not tons more money, was enough more that there was no way we could make it work.
Looks like a nice setup.

I guess I'm still in the planning phase, and my area that I'm looking at putting my shop is limited in size, mostly due to the size of the building I'm looking at putting up(and a river running through my yard, and where there isn't, it doesn't drain).

The front will face my dryer(s)/bin setup, if all goes well, and building an office/room on the floor will get in the way of the door, so to me it made sense to put everything above. Then a room can be built where I can camp out and watch the dryer/grain equipment, and/or meet with salesmen or whoever.

Otherwise the noise complaint would be more of a shock to me, as it is just me, unless I can convince some neighbor or relative into helping me with something. I suppose if you seal/insulate/vent it right the dust/smell isn't an issue either.

And if it's to any interest of anyone, I managed to sell most my grain handling equipment (the many small bins and batch dryers), so now that'll be the next questions I ask here I'm sure.

post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yup, we're in a swamp too!^^^ I moved lots of dirt to where we built the shed, then had a pro dirt guy finish it up, we're raised up about 4 or 5 feet.

Why our ancestors decided to build in a low spot, i'll never know? Maybe shallow drinking water well?

Out of us and all our neighbors homesteads, only one had sense enough to build on a hill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbowl farm View Post
Yup, we're in a swamp too!^^^ I moved lots of dirt to where we built the shed, then had a pro dirt guy finish it up, we're raised up about 4 or 5 feet.

Why our ancestors decided to build in a low spot, i'll never know? Maybe shallow drinking water well?

Out of us and all our neighbors homesteads, only one had sense enough to build on a hill.
I guess I'm in a river oxbow, or bend or whatever you call it. Then any other land that's not in an oxbow, is flat flat, with just enough grade to move it to the ditch or waterway, lots of tile too. The oxbow's, odd enough, are actually high points, about 10'-30' higher than the surrounding area, so that's where my yard is sat.

My new shop/bin site/yard extension is going to be in a oxbow that is downstream, but is close enough to my current yard all I need to do is build a small foot bridge and I can go back and forth in 5 minutes (as long as the bridge doesn't float away...)

Otherwise my yard, formerly my Grandpa's, was a contract for deed to my him(from a non relative), as he sorta got cheated out of his chance of a farm...(another long story)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page