Having office space/storage above - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Having office space/storage above

Anyone thought of or tried having their office/storage above the shop area? To me this doesn't seem like a bad idea, provided that you seal it good enough to keep the exhaust/smell out.(I'm thinking of having the entire area enclosed, from end to end, where the roof meets the walls)

Also does anyone have a dedicated storage room? Thoughts on that?

(Going back 3ish years and the search didn't turn up anything of much interest)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
If you do something like that you likely should have an engineered design. A friend of mine did that in his recreational equipment dealership by himself. I believe it was workplace health and safety that forced him to demolish and remove it a few months later because it was under designed.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
What are you intending on storing/how youre using the space will dictate structural requirements.

I know guys that have done this in ag and I do this for commercial builds in other industries.

Personally I am a fan of pallet racking for heavy items in tubs or on pallets. Vertical storage is the cheapest storage, as the saying goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
We have a side storage room/coffee room in a lean to on the side, just insulate and vapour barrier the walls like normal and insulated exterior type walk in door. No fumes or anything to worry about. I personally like my office in my house but thats just preference.
joesixpack and Windmillfarms like this.

As a farmer, you learn quick: ďYou donít get anything that you donít work hard forĒ
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
X2. Just don’t make sense to me to waste the main building height that way.

I was in my uncles shop just like that and all I could think was it sure would be a nice building if they would have put the office/storage/accommodations in a lean too beside it! Plus ten million times up stairs and down!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
I have a second floor over a portion of the shop. Was engineered for 40lbs/sq ft. About 25ft wide. Wasn't much to get the engineer to finalize and stamp it, maybe $800. It is easy to figure out dimensions and spacing of floor joists, just didn't know what size of posts and I beams were needed to support it all.

It all depends how you plan to utilize the space within the four walls of a building. For me, I knew I wanted storage space and I also planned to have an area that would never see anything bigger than cars, snowmobiles, yard equipment, etc. If you already have a building for the smaller stuff then you are taking away space. For me, I put everything in the same building and have lots of storage space above.
Right now my shop doubles as a storage shed so I have equipment in there all year that really needs to be in its own storage building. Once I get that done I will have lots of room to use the shop for how I meant for it to be used.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
We have a 100x50 shop. In one corner have a 15x25 parts room with lunch and bathroom above. Bathroom upstairs sucks. Actually both up there suck. The lower parts room is split in 2, parts in one side, compressor, sink for hand washing, and some specialized tools in the other side.

Brent.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
X2. Just don’t make sense to me to waste the main building height that way.

I was in my uncles shop just like that and all I could think was it sure would be a nice building if they would have put the office/storage/accommodations in a lean too beside it! Plus ten million times up stairs and down!
Maybe I'm understanding it wrong, but I'm looking at if it's above the door height it's not exactly wasted space, as how do you use it if you can't fit it in the door?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochia View Post
Maybe I'm understanding it wrong, but I'm looking at if it's above the door height it's not exactly wasted space, as how do you use it if you can't fit it in the door?
Are you thinking a room in the rafters? Iíve heard of guys doing that but never seen it.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
We have a 7’x64’ mezzanine at the back of our shop and don’t feel that it is wasted space. The way I see it is most tractors and trucks have hoods or combines have pickups and will easily fit under mezzanine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190201_180003_1552330105248.jpg (3.61 MB, 28 views)

Last edited by sasksodbuster; 03-11-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page