New Shop Must-haves - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
I would venture a guess that 80% would not need an overheard crane, theres a very small amount that could justify the cost. As for a pit, you can get those portable lifts that can lift a semi 6ft in the air safely and then you can wheel them into the corner when your done, once you have a pit that area isn't much good for anything else. I would second that building too small and too low are common mistakes.

My top things would be:
- 18ft high door preferable would be 20ft
- Ventilation, weather it be truck/tractor exhaust or welding/grinding fumes
- Break/coffee room, doesn't have to be huge but it nice to be able to sit down away from the noise and work or meet salespeople/agronomists without having to go to the house.
- Insulation, if your climate is cold (like Canada) go all out on insulation you can go with bat walls and then but foam board between strapping to get even more
- Windows & lights, windows are free light and makes for a nicer workplace, lots of lights because you'll be glad you did
- Small door for pickups/quads/snowmobiles, keeps your larger doors closed and heat savings.
- Build it bigger!

MountainviewTruck likes this.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
You will run out of money before you get all the features you want. So make real sure you get the features you need, and make it so you can add the features you want.

Make it tall enough and wide enough, with a good floor. Its relatively easy to add to the length of a building, needing more width or height means starting over.

Remember you are not trying to build the shop you need today. You have to build the shop you think you will need in 10 years.

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hildebrand View Post
- Insulation, if your climate is cold (like Canada) go all out on insulation you can go with bat walls and then but foam board between strapping to get even more
- Windows & lights, windows are free light and makes for a nicer workplace, lots of lights because you'll be glad you did
- Small door for pickups/quads/snowmobiles, keeps your larger doors closed and heat savings.
I heard spray foam is nice. Never tried it though.

If you use a 4 wheeler alot, go with a big walk-in door. I seen it on successful farming and tried it, it works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 PM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
A parts room with a small garage door so you can move pallets in and out is a must for me all your clutter is confined to that room
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Barn
I'd put a concrete or reinforced steel "safe room" attached to the office area for storing vitals, monitors, GPS equipment and crap like that. Protected from fire and natural disasters

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochia View Post

If you use a 4 wheeler alot, go with a big walk-in door. I seen it on successful farming and tried it, it works great.
Spray foam is nice but $$$$$

I have a large walk in door on a parts room and I'm not a fan for wheeled vehicles, constantly driving over the doorstop is a pain, doesn't work at all with sleds.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Jason how do you get your sleds in and out of the shop without wrecking the concrete? It seems like the little caster wheels always fall off and it is hard to make the two wheel over centring lift work.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hildebrand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochia View Post

Spray foam is nice but $$$$$

I have a large walk in door on a parts room and I'm not a fan for wheeled vehicles, constantly driving over the doorstop is a pain, doesn't work at all with sleds.
I guess I made it flush with the floor...

Mine are on a tip able flat bed as they are a little hard on the floor...
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Our shop (too small and too low like everyone else's!!!!) was built out of a lowered barn roof.... Dad has a couple overhead chain winches, I think running on the old hay lift track. sure are handy to have, especially if doing many welding projects / fabrication. But they get used all the time.

Have been playing with idea of building a bigger shop at some point but from what I can gather any sort of over head basically needs to be on its own frame to meet code (or else the frame of the building made out of steel engineered for the structure to withstand weight being put on it.......) (unless you happen to be in a municipality that doesn't have a building inspector). I'm thinking that if building to code a used forklift likely way cheaper than all the additions needed for a crane.

A parts room would be awesome, and if I was laying out a shop I would make sure to have room for a tire repair machine and a hose crimper. Im sure it would take some time to figure out what fittings to have on hand but I swear close to half of our down time is running to town for hydraulic hose and tire repairs....
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
Jason how do you get your sleds in and out of the shop without wrecking the concrete? It seems like the little caster wheels always fall off and it is hard to make the two wheel over centring lift work.
Once you get a few hundred miles on carbides I find they don’t actually cut concrete anymore (not mine anyways). They make scratches but if you run your finger over they aren’t actually grooves. I do have a couple of these dollies tho and they work great, drive on and off them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F0F61A9A-CADD-43EA-813B-DA54D0468EE1.jpeg (33.2 KB, 12 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page