New Shop Must-haves - The Combine Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New Shop Must-haves

Hi guys we have been thinking about building a shop for a few years now and hopefully one of these years we will actually pull the trigger. I have read a few of the shop threads on hear and liked seeing and reading all the different ideas. I was wondering what is a must have in a new shop or a some mistakes that you have seen or done? A few questions in particular that i have is if a pit is worth it for working on highway tractors and vehicles? I would for sure want to be able to cover the pit and build it out of the way if it could be. Also what about an overhead crane, is that necessary in a farm shop? I would like to hear your ideas and even some if-money-was-no-object dreams. lol Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I can safely say the number one mistake is building too small.

That's what is driving me to build a new shop. My last one was built (well started off as a shed/Quonset) in the mid 70s when 14' was tall enough. Well it had been dug out to 16', then had water issues, so it's back at 14'.

Overhead lift of some sort would be nice, but so far a smaller tractor and loader has worked for me.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
I would say powered openers, a separate air compressor room, build raised racks to hold totes of oil and def, and a real dinosaur fossil hanging from the ceiling as a conversation piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
To me not having an overhead crane would be like not having a oven in a kitchen, you’ll never regret putting one in
1972RedNeck and Windmillfarms like this.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochia View Post
I can safely say the number one mistake is building too small.
This bears repeating "the number one mistake is building too small." Regarding a pit, I'm not sure you can legally put a pit in a shop anymore. Best check into that before going ahead. While a gantry (or overhead crane of some sort) would have it's uses, especially if you do major engine work on large pieces of equipment, I would buy a picker truck long before investing in a stationary crane setup. There are some things that a crane could do that a picker can't but there are MANY things that a picker can do that a crane can't.
kevlar likes this.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Hot water pressure washer in a separate bay. Proper wall, not a curtain. You'll use it daily, even just for cleaning parts, and the rest of your shop will stay clean.

Overhead door in welding area for fumes/access. Exhaust fan.

In floor heat is the only way.

Storage up high is nice. Mount air compressors, hot water tanks etc overhead. Air and water Lines in walls is nice. Can't have too many plugs.

Jury is still out on overhead storage. We have mezzanine office/bathroom/lunch room above workbench. I'm glad I don't keep parts up there. Have shelves for the common used stuff, shipping container and old buildings for the once a year stuff like oil filters, combine parts. Easy to get when you need them but not in your way. Maybe just a separate parts room. Don't need 20ft high of parts, and not even necessarily heated. Cheaper ways to do it IMO.

Crane would be awesome.

Go 110ft long if you can, may have super Bs one day if you don't already, and could split them inside. 60ft wide is 3 machines, but tight.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
You can put a workpit in, but at least for commercial construction, it has to have an alarm system and sensors to detect harmful heavier-than-air gasses that could settle in there, along with a ventilation system. May not be worth the expense.

Gotta have at least one washbay with a drain, and floor sloped to it. I'll say for us, a curtain would be enough. The extra cost of a wall could be better spent elsewhere because we wouldn't use it every day, and the curtain gives you flexibility. Depends how big you are though and how much you'll use it. If you use an open drain style with grating (as opposed to U-drain with a narrow opening), make sure they use heavy grating that can be driven on.

Gotta have exhaust fans for the washbay, I'm a stickler for safety and air quality so I would try to find a cheap exhaust hood setup for welding too.

Infloor heat is great but pricey and I'm cheap, we might just lay lines under part of the floor and jimmy-rig a water heater to use on occasion, with radiant tubes to be the main source of heat. Need to see how the dollars shake out.

Some will put infloor heat lines in the outside slab and at the concrete where the overhead/bifold doors sit, I think that's a good idea but set up so you turn it on only when you need to.

Most won't insulate at the edge of the slab / outside face of gradebeam. New energy code takes care of that but farm buildings aren't required to conform to the energy code; I'd still get my builder to do it, or do it myself.

Here's a good one, a pit for changing oil. The setup I saw, he had a pit you drive over, pull the plug and let oil drain into the pit. There was a line to an above ground tank outside with a pump, so you turn a pump on and it sucks from the pit to the tank. Nice and clean. I think the pump was set up so you turn a couple valves and pump out of that tank as well.

Put some thought into orientation and which way the doors face in relation to prevailing winds. You don't want to be clearing snowdrifts in front of the main overhead/bifold door.

If you're building a heated shop but could use some more cold storage as well, it would be cost-effective to build one building that's part heated shop, part cold storage.

If money is no object, skip the pole sheds and stud framing, build a pre-engineered steel building.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I think i would look into a 4 post truck lift, i dont think it would be any more than building a pit.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Best things we ever bought for our shop were a couple of forklifts, one an electric aisle type that always stays inside on the cement, and one that can run outside on gravel. Easy to store things up on racks now. Should have done that decades ago.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
I agree with the above comments on forklifts. We built a loft in our shop years ago with the intention of storing filters, oil totes, air compressor, etc. A loft is a good idea, but we don't use it properly... Oil totes are extinct (in my opinion) with the rolling 55 gal caddies that are powered by your aircompressor. If you have dry cold storage your filters don't need to be heated.

This may sound dumb, but here are my top three "cheap" things that are missed most of the time.

1) good lights. Definitely over do it with the lights. I would probably pack the ceiling with LED "fluorescent" style light fixtures if I was to do it over again.

2) shelving. Helps things stay organized from day 1

3) Rolling workbenches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page