The Combine Forum banner

Claas 670 stripper and row head size??

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Dustbowl farm 
#1 ·
Would the 670 be a good choice for a 42ft Shelbourne in 30 to 50bu wheat?

And for a 16R30 in 60 to 120bu milo?

#2 ·
Don't know anything about the Claas, but with the stripper header in those kind of yields the only thing you have to look at is feederhouse lift and unloading auger length. All the 42' headers will have the Variable speed rotor so you can slow it down if the combine doesn't have the cleaning capacity to keep up in bigger crops.

#4 ·
Starting from scratch, haven't owned a combine since the late 80's. We've out grown our custom crew, and operation has changed where we can maybe run a machine again.

So starting with a clean slate. Just know i'd like to run those heads.

Some of the 670's i'm looking at say they have Auto Contour HP feeder house.

#6 ·
Where are you from? I would consider a 750 with tracks. I don't recall if you can get tracks on a 670. I am sure you are aware that the 670 Lexion is a cylinder/walker machine. It definitely serves a purpose but most people prefer the cylinder/twin rotor hybrid.

With the header sizes you mention, I think you would be happy with tracks, and tracks on a Lexion allows much easier machine servicing, along with a great ride and load capacity. Turning radius is not as good with a track machine because the tracks prefer to go straight.

With those headers, you will need a heavy duty header drive. You can get constant or variable speed drive. I like the variable speed setup, but depending on the year, you need to verify it is the heavier version capable of those big loads.

Auto contour HP is what you want. That means it has lateral tilt. It should also have a dust suction fan on the feederhouse and a threaded top-link to manually and quickly tilt the header fore and aft. If it is new enough, it can have a hydraulic top-link for on the go header tilt fore/aft.

I can't stress enough, get tracks.

For 30-50 bushel wheat, there shouldn't be a lexion not capable of that material. Can't comment on milo.
A big consideration is a wide body or narrow body Lexion. Same machine but the threshing and separating is wider on the wide body. 670 walker machine, and 760 and above are wide body if I recall.

#7 ·
From the dustbowl, farm 1/2 in Kansas and 1/2 Colorado. ^^^

Compaction can be an issue, and we do run some when we shouldn't or don't want to. But for the most part, tracks aren't a high priority as we're more often than not bone dry. Why the track love?

Yeah i know the hybrid is what most want, but hoping with those heads i'm not running enough material through the machine to want o need the hybrid?

My delusional math has me thinking 2 ways that maybe we could afford to go. More combine with a draper ie: 760 or 780, or less combine with more/better heads.

#8 ·
The fondness for the tracks is because they do what they claim they do and more. Less compaction, smooth ride, durable, narrow, etc. On top of that, because a Lexion has so many moving parts on the sides of the machine, the low profile of the track provides easy access compared to tires or any other track design.

#10 ·
go with more/better heads... With your location I would have to assume that your bottom line would be better with a stripper header. Down the road you can then be really patient and keep an eye out for the exact combine that you want. Another random thought that may swing the argument the other way is if you plan on diversifying your rotation to where you need a draper anyways...

#11 ·
Agreed, and our crew could get a crop needing a platform.

Would love to diversify, but just not much that will work on our farm. From studying, Morton Lentils is about the only maybe i've found to try?

Wheat, corn, milo, millet and sunflowers is about it. Soybeans on irrigated, but corn figures better and we have cows.

#15 ·
After looking at the specs again, the 670 is a wide body but much lower on power than the rotor wide bodies. Also, it does not offer the bigger, dual tank fuel capacity. Having said that, the walker will not consume as much power or use as much fuel.

Not much for activations, especially if you buy a used one that has been operated the way you would.
"Auto Pilot" doesn't mean much. Claas has had that for years and years. That can mean it cad do something as "basic" as the steering wands on a corn head that controls the hydraulic steering on the combine without any gps equipment or mapping. It can also mean more than that, just depends on how the combine is equipped. Most use Ag, Leader, Deere, or Trimble for the auto-steer on these machines. I like Ag Leader. If you already have some gps equipment that can be shared, that can help make your decision. I think the Deere can do everything the others can do, including steering on curves, not just A/B lines. If you want a more improved auto-steer, I think 2014 and newer Lexions have better hydraulic autosteer components than before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.