The Combine Forum banner

Massey Ferguson 500 hp tractor

34K views 72 replies 27 participants last post by  SWMan 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have heard about Massey Ferguson new series of 500hp tractors which MF is to introduce this autumn. There are some considerations that they will get Fendt 1000 in red...

Has anyone heard about it yet?

#52 ·
I just don't get it. Why do they not do better marketing on the lines they currently sell in NA instead of starting from scratch with the Fendt brand. They tried this with the Challenger line now there gonna start all over with the Fendt line. MF ,Gleaner and Hesston made AGCO.

#53 ·
I don't get it either. I asked why if they are discontinuing the current Massey line why not offer the Ideal in either Massey or Fendt. He didn't answer the question. He said the reason Massey is being discontinued is because of low sales. Well if they wouldn't always be 5 years behind in adding all the nicer features to their combines maybe they would sell them. I hope I am wrong but I bet the day is coming when Massey tractors stop at the 6000 series and if you want high horsepower you'll have to go challenger or fendt. I wonder how long it goes until all the Hesston equipment is only available in green or yellow as well...

#58 ·
Our local AGCO dealer sat with a Challenger swather for 3 years and sold more then 25 new MF's in that time frame so you can't tell me MF doesn't sell in Saskatchewan. He won't even bring in a Challenger swather, front assist tractor, combine or baler unless a customer orders it now. He says he has numerous requests for a MF 4 wd., but AGCO in all there wisdom thinks it won't sell. Maybe the USA market is different, but western Canada still has a strong MF following. Our dealer this year picked up the Fendt line he has sold 1 new Fendt tractor 145 hp and in that time has sold 4 new MF's in that HP range. Never mind the under 100 hp. units. He also sold the 380 hp. MF and is sitting with the Fendt unit.

#59 ·
Most Challenger dealers also sell Lexion (although that may be changing as Claas works to set up their own full line dealers throughout western Canada), so there was never any incentive for them to push the yellow-painted Massey combines. I'm not sure there were any Challenger combines ever sold in Manitoba; I've never even seen one.

I've heard the same thing from the Massey dealers regarding the need for red articulated tractors. Filling that need would have probably helped sell more red combines than anything else. Instead, these dealers are all selling Versatile.

The marketplace in Manitoba is changing fast. The general softening of the market has left us with far fewer dealerships as the CaseIH stores are mostly gone. And if there will be no new Massey combines (in North America anyway), and maybe no more Gleaner combines either, AGCO is effectively abandoning the new combine sector.

#61 ·
It sure seems to be a challenge for Agco to manage all those brands so its surprising that they would try to introduce yet another brand in the mix. Seems to be a good strategy to keep older brands week. I remember when Ford purchased Versatile and New holland, my perception was that it made blue in a much larger player over night here in Manitoba anyway

#67 ·
So if the hay equipment doesn't sell in challenger yellow and sells quite well in Massey red - how come in Agco's own advertising articles they can't even bring themselves to say the Massey Ferguson name? It's now just "Hesston made" equipment.

https://myfarmlife.com/equipment/agco-equipment-tackles-the-toughest-of-crops/amp/

Nowhere in the whole article is Massey Ferguson even mentioned.
There is definitely something going on about phasing out the Massey name.

#71 ·
They are discontinuing the Challenger 600 series tractor I am told, but not the Massey equivalent. So I would say they aren't going to phase out the Massey name based off that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.