The Combine Forum banner

Rocky Mountain Equipment Manitoba

16K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  Jerith 
#1 ·
What does everyone think of RME? Just read a thread on here about a shady combine deal. I personaly am done dealing with the company. We have a great shop in boissevain the parts, service and mechanics are great I will continue to deal with them but RME has made there last sale on my farm..The salesmen are absolutely horrible, nothing compared to the old guys they used to have. They don't seem to know what they are talking about nor care they just tell u what you wanna hear. They barely even wash the equipment off they are trying to sell. Seem to be hard to deal with to me but maybe its just me..Are all RME's the same?

#42 ·
What is it with them not wanting to keep used stuff around? Sounds the same here, most stuff is only a few years old. Is it the manufacturers pressuring them to sell new stuff? Get rid of the old so people have less choices and are forced to go newer than they want? Noticed it's the same with car/truck dealers. Have been looking around for a newer truck for dad the last week, all dealers we went to only had a hand full of used and were only 2-3 years old. Not worth it for them handle used?

#45 ·
Our local case ih dealer ( Chabots equipment in elie ) has been bought out by RME over a year ago and I have found that the parts prices were 20% more than the only other case dealer ( leos ) so started going there along with most of the other ih owners in the area . Well I guess RME saw a large drop in parts sales so they reduced their prices but they don't have anything in stock where leo's will have multiple parts in their inventory . Just went to an open house at leos and bought my yearly supply of oil and filters as RME doesent have any deals pre season . RME has closed down their dealership in portage la prairie which doesn't make any sense as it is a high value potato and vegetable growing area have heard that they kept their elie operation going so they can pressure into leos area for sales but it won't happen as all of the good mechanics at RME elie have left . Am wondering at what happens when RME goes bankrupt in western Canada , can't see the reasoning in case ih upper management allowing this to happen .

#46 ·
Am wondering at what happens when RME goes bankrupt in western Canada , can't see the reasoning in case ih upper management allowing this to happen .

That's kind of what I am concerned about with these guys taking over all the dealerships (all brands). Will the mother companies allow them to go broke or will they prop them up? It's them that forces them to build these big, extravagant buildings. For example, if Mazer's was to go broke, I would have about a 3 hour drive to the next dealer, maybe more now, I'm not too sure. Seems funny that the smaller lines have more independent and family run stores.

Nothing is too big to fail.

Reactions: Haystack
#48 ·
I guess I better explain why I know the following stuff. I know I'm not allowed to sell or try to influence discussions but this relates.

I have my PHD. Papa Has Dealership. I married the owners daughter and it wasn't long before I was hired and moved up to north-west Alberta. I don't sell Ag. I sell vehicles. I'm trained in a lot and can operate a lot but do not ask me to fix your tractor. I was pretty good in a grain-cart and primarily am a backup for testing sprayer stuff. (Rate control, auto-steer, automatic booms....)

Ross Ag, in Falher (AB) used to be a family owned JD dealership. It was bought out by Martin Deerline a few years ago. I worked there first doing the autosteer as the technology came out. (Accutrak, Starfire, Raven, Trimble) I chatted with the manager about half a year after the sale. He said pretty much as the others. It turned corporate. Not allowed to do a conquest sale where a discount is applied. All full price. Plus the constant grind on the phone from them bawling about not enough sales. Wasting so much time on daily morning meetings. Its a bi-lingual area with some SERIOUS green paint loyalty. He has his finger on the pulse.

Dave Ross Equipment is still owned by the Ross family and is at the 4th generation mark starting in 1941. (Dave picked up a Chrysler dealership for the same building in 1949.) They were dropped from JD when Dave himself died in the 90's. Al Ross switched to Versatile. Picked up Morris and some others. Did Rogator for a few years. They couldn't keep up with the Rogator warranty and was using too much mechanic time.

The big family story is that Al Ross decided to take a trip to visit his Scottish Ross roots. Stopped in at a pub. Happened to stand next to a mechanic. One who worked at the Alvan Blanch factory. The AB driers have a good design and the ones built in the 60's are still running at the whisky other alcohol factories. After a few years and some lessons with international shipping and the assholes who wouldn't accept the british burners for use in Canada equipment, they were converted to approved CSA equipment. Ugh.

That's about it. :) Another family dealership is working to survive. The Rosses has experience with diversifying to stay alive. It is the only way it seems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.