The Combine Forum - View Single Post - Camera crop row guidance integration with AgOpenGPS
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
kareldew

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I have changed the title to camera crop row guidance, stereo-vision is just one approach. I have gone through research on crop line recognition and a lot of it is done with purely visual camera's (algorithms based on features in image stills like color or shape). Reliability and accuracy varied. Someone even started an open source example of this: https://github.com/petern3/crop_row_detection

Recent papers most often use stereo- or binocular vision, the ones below integrate it with machine control using PID, pure pursuit, ... at quite accurate levels:
A Stereovision-based Crop Row Detection Method for Tractor-automated Guidance
Stereovision-Based Guidance Line Detection Method for Auto-guidance system on Furrow Irrigated Fields
Tractor path tracking control based on binocular vision

I am no expert but it seems that stereo-vision is the way to go. Interesting that for example IFM (and probably others?) offer relatively cheap hardware and software in a package ready to integrate in a range of applications, so for many to experiment with. Communication runs through CAN or ethernet I believe.

Last edited by kareldew; 06-28-2019 at 03:57 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome