The Combine Forum banner

Pumping shuttles with Venturi on chem handler

12K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  joesixpack 
#1 ·
Just in the process of switching water truck over to 3 inch and I want to pump directly out of shuttles using the Venturi on chem handler to eliminate the electric pump. Is anyone doing this with a flow meter? What style of flow meter because the few guys I talked to say they don't work sucking instead of pumping. Also I'm not interested in measuring inches or trying to read the numbers on the side of the shuttle would like something a little more accurate. Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
I am pulling chem from barrels/totes with a venturi mounted on the sprayer. I have been useing the raven 221 flow meter FlowMax? Fluid Transfer Systems | Raven Precision . The jury is still out on it's accuracy as I am on my second one and only used it for a few weeks this fall and, while it started out good the accuracy seemed to go to $hit toward the end (just like the last one). Most of these flow meters like the banjo ones require straight pipe/hose before and after the meter for accuracy to the tune of, IIRC 10-1 ratio (2" plumbing requires 20" straight line in and out)

#6 ·
I suck out of barrels and totes with my venturi on my chem handler. I modified my handler for this (have older one). It works very well but isn't the fastest. For liberty and glyphosate using big volumes it's just as easy to measure and mark the tote and accurate enough. That's a little harder to do when doing small amounts like in crop RR canola for example. A pump would be better that way.

#8 ·
Be sure to get the right flow meter for all products. We have a meter that is a flow sensor kind of like the banjo one, and it won't read fluids like twinline.
Does the banjo read the "diesel fuel like" products?
We have a 1" Subaru pump on the trailer in case of a screw up, or having to put lots of product in.
Haven't had an issue putting up to 300L glyphosate in a 1200 gal tank, just a little slow.

#12 ·
I may sound kind of primitive here but i have the small chem handler and use the marks on it for measuring roundup and liberty always. I didnt feel $2200 for a friggin pump made any sense. My chem handler is short being the small one and I just used pallets to elevate the tote just above the chem handler. Screwed the pallets together and to the deck of the trailer. Spent $50 on a banjo coupler and 1 1/4" hose with a 90 degree elbow and a valve on the end of the hose. Just open the valve and fill to what ever mark i desire. I can put chemical in the handler faster than the sprayer fills with round up even when the tote is low running 2" easily.

#15 ·
Never timed it but 2-3 min longer doesn't kill me. When I was young and filling a spray coupe every 20 acres 2 min was a lot every fill. My gator has an 800 gal tank and I spray 60 acres with it. 13 gal /acre and don't have to measure centurion and just slam whole jugs. 78 litres of liberty in that mix so not real long for me.

#18 ·
If you are talking about weighing your chem I don't know how well that would work since all chems have different specific gravities. You would have to develop a conversion table for each chemical to know how many litres per KG. We all know that 1 litre volume is 1KG weight but that is only for fresh water at sea level. Different specific gravities will give different correlation's. Just something to consider.

#20 ·
I use a scale. 1# accuracy, or roughly better than 1 pint. I don't use a venturi, I just plumbed them into the suction side of the pump with tees and one way check valves. Moving Bicep II Magnum at 2.4 qt/10 gal solution is much better with a 3" pump.

Pallet scales are $1,000 to $3,000, depending on how fancy you want and how much shipping.

This is the computer age. There is this marvelous thing called the world wide web that has all kinds of information, including the specific gravity of any herbicide you wish to spray. I can look it up on my phone, and then, also using my phone, calculate how many pounds of product I need to put in the spray tank. Water has a specific gravity of 1.0, and weighs 8.34#/gallon. For Example, Roundup Ultra has a specific gravity of 1.17. So Roundup Ultra weighs 1.17 * 8.34 = 9.76#/gal. A different chemical will have a different specific gravity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.