Farming in the past. - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Back in the 50's John Deere always put on a "John Deere Day" where they showed films at the local theatre followed by coffee and donuts at the local dealership.... remember those ? Dad always took me out of school to attend so it was a big deal for me. Anyways at the dealership there was a new JD 70 on display and the owner who was a family friend hoisted me up to the seat where I sat and listened to the conservations around me. The thing I remember about it all was the comments "why on earth would any farmer need that kind of power".. how things have changed !

NoColourPreference likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
I just want to say thanks to all of you for sharing your stories. At only 28 years old I don't have many of those sort of stories to share. Times back then seemed like it was more hard labor, but closer family, neighbors, friends and a slower life. Oh a time machine would be cool to experience those things. The advance back then were to me a bigger jump than those are today. From hydraulics to cabs etc. Now it's just some more technology computer stuff. I remember the days going to the elevator with our tandem truck and it was one of the bigger ones. Everyone would be out in a group talking while we waited in line. Now with semis it's less people there and everyone seems to just sit in the a/c and nobody wants to chat.

Thank you again for the stories. I always loved hearing them from the "old timers".

chance2, kevlar and dookiller like this.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
In the early 60's my dad put up loose haystacks on a big natural hay meadow with a farmhand F10. They were a high lift front end loader that the tractor fit right inside and would lift over 20 feet, they were specifically for building haystacks. For a time he didn't use what they called a stack former which was a big cage that you dumped the hay into to form the lower part of the haystack. The large unformed stacks he built were likely in the 8 to 10 ton range and were towed home in the fall with cables attached to a big log pulled by a Caterpillar 60. Later a neighbour got a new to him Caterpillar D7 and was hired to do the job. There were a few stacks the D7 couldn't pull. Dad would have to come out with a little IHC TD6 with a dozer and help push from behind.

There was a bit of diesel smoke in the air when that was going on. I remember riding a way up on top of the haystacks between those two crawlers, as well as the year before behind the Cat 60.
dookiller likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My first real job on my grandfather's farm was crawling under a JD 95 combine and hooking a cable to it so it could be pulled up the hillside without getting stuck while harvesting rice. They would go down the hillside just fine and unload at the bottom so they would be as lite as possible but always spun down as soon as they hit the first levee. The rice farmers will know what a levee is. It was a mess. I have since been on/in almost every JD combine model since and quite a few other mfg. but always in rice until recently when we got into other crops as well. Nothing in the world smells like harvested rice and it always makes me smile. I spent countless hours sitting on the operator's platform on a JD 105 with me feet hanging off below the rail watching the reel go round. I would also move the rice around in the hopper to make room for just a little more. Very recently we had a JD3300 sitting beside a S680 and I couldn't believe the difference in size. We certainly come a long way in what seems like a very short time.
dookiller likes this.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
I always feel like most everything I still do and own is considered antiquated by most members standards lol and admittedly, there is a lot of stuff here that is getting to be quite old, 1940s and newer. I wouldn't know where to start. I remember reading where someone saying about old folks knowing what work was...well I still do, but now I do my best to just work smarter
lynas and chance2 like this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Little bit off topic but reading this thread made me think of when we installed gps and auto steer in the front wheel assist for spraying. My grandpa was still with us then. He looked it over thoughtfully then shook his head a bit and said "And I figured we had it made when we put disc markers on the sprayer".
lynas and chance2 like this.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricefarmer09 View Post
. I spent countless hours sitting on the operator's platform on a JD 105 with me feet hanging off below the rail watching the reel go round. I would also move the rice around in the hopper to make room for just a little more. .
HaHa! That's classic!

I rode on the fender of Dads open station tractors from the age of 5 onwards.
Drove them when he fed hay off the trailer from the age of 5.
I remember walking around inside the rim of the rear wheel to add ballast when the tractor was about to tip over on the side of a hill and sitting on the front of the hood with my brother to hold the front end down, and I wasn't a fat kid either. Good times!

Opportunity doesn't knock! It presents it'self when you beat down the door!

Last edited by lynas; 04-19-2018 at 07:01 PM.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone95 View Post
It's interesting how far back my "connection" goes. I'm 52, my Dad is 80, but his Dad was pretty old when he married and had my Dad. Yep, Grandpa was born in 1899, I always think that's pretty cool. Grandpa was one of the first in his area to buy a tractor, an Oliver of some sort. He didn't have that very long and got a JD A and B, not sure which order, then in 1953 bought a brand new JD 50, and in 54 a JD 40. He traded in the A and B. The first tractor I ever drover, er, steered anyway was a Massey 165, but followed pretty closely by that 50. I spent 100's of hours on that thing discing, drag harrowing, cleaning the barns, raking hay, whatever. Sadly we got rid of that quite a while back because the rear end housing was cracked very bad due to a hay mower that attached to it (in a rather oddball way). It could have been fixed by someone with the time, tools, facility, and talents, but we traded it off. Anyway, we still have Grandpa's 40, which is pretty cool to have. It doesn't do much anymore, but it's still nice to have. Never been restored, it's in it's work clothes as they say. The first combine I pulled was a 12A, then a 25, then we were big time with a self propelled 40 EB! Ahh.....days of eating dust and sunburn doing the oats.....makes ya smile!
Wow, i am 51 and my dad was 82 (just passed away this christmas), his dad was very old when married also, born 1895 Poland, he was a young man through WW1. This guy had the most amazing hair raising stores.
The one and only new piece of equipment ever bought on my farm was his No 9 Mccormick deering binder. i have it in the valley, all the wood has rotted off but all the steel parts are there, the chains are all serviable and still at the correct tension, not a part missing. I have the canvasses in the rafters like the day he pulled them off, and a brand new never used roll of twine still in the paper wrapper, also have the owners manual like the day he bought it, brand new not a mark, all hand drawn illustrations. It is so cool to go through the pages.
next to the binder is my dad's first combine, a Cockshut SP112.
I remember my mom sitting on the old WD9 (which i still have and use) pulling that freaking thing up and down the road trying to pull start it every year. He was real proud in the fact he converted the manual hand wheel header lift to a hydraulic one, Lol.
Next to that is the first combine i used, a 1962 massey ferguson 82. Standard steering, open cab. I was 10 years old when he put me on it. his dad put him on a 6 horse plow team when he was 10, so he figured, if it was ok for him, it was ok for me. Those were days when getting harvest done was worthy of a big party. Farmers sometimes really suffered on those pieces of equipment, and they were smiling at how far they came. Makes a guy feel so small and weak sometimes.
tbone95 and SWFarmService like this.

Last edited by Combine Pilot; 04-19-2018 at 07:07 AM.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Also, I remembered, my dad telling me about his dad in Poland, the black forest in Poland is mainly Oak trees, whenever he needed a new equalizer bar for his plow pulled by horses, he would walk into the forest and carve a new one, Lol. That just blows my mind, no parts stores, just a pocket knife.

Last edited by Combine Pilot; 04-19-2018 at 07:05 AM.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVW View Post
I don't know how many bags of fertilizer I carried. Used to pick up 2 ton at a time with the 3/4 ton. IIRC they were 80 lb bags.
In I believe the spring of 1970 about 6 friends and I hand unloaded a railcar of 11-51-0 bagged fertilizer into a storage warehouse for the local fertilizer dealer.
Took the entire Saturday. Would border on child abuse these days!

Do I not remember a weird bag size, 87 1/2 pounds maybe?
That did become 80 sometime in the 60s. I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page