Farming in the past. - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Help my grand father in about 1984 he was still running 3 92 Massey was impressed we cut across from 1 7720jd those three cut about the same as that big deere at the time then one waying with w6 working on it and the huge 30in rattle snake scare the crap out of me when working on it was 13 at this time lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Not to get off subject but a buddy of mine sent me this. Said the tractor had a slight rattle coming from the front.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RATTLESNAKE ON TRACTOR.jpg (67.1 KB, 218 views)
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Ricefarmer, where was that? I've heard stories of rattlesnakes in the coastal bend area of Texas that would make me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs.
dookiller likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
First tractor I ever ran was a 44 Massey, my Grandpa bought it new in 1947. still use it today to plow snow as it has a 8' dozer on it. Actually just put a clutch in it last week. Also have his Farmall H tricycle unit in the shed. And my Dad bought a 15-30 McCormick and was able to get it up and running before he passed...that was the first tractor he drove. I have that one in the shed as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1132[1].jpg (577.7 KB, 55 views)
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine Pilot View Post
Also, I remembered, my dad telling me about his dad in Poland, the black forest in Poland is mainly Oak trees, whenever he needed a new equalizer bar for his plow pulled by horses, he would walk into the forest and carve a new one, Lol. That just blows my mind, no parts stores, just a pocket knife.
Between this and the other post, wow indeed! My Grandpa's 2 older brothers were in WW1. Since they spoke German, they were spies. They told how they would meet spies from the German side at night, build a fire, and talk about how if the "big shots" were the ones out fighting, the **** war would have been over a long time ago. Grandpa himself was on the train to go into the army, between stops at a train depot, the armistice was announced and everyone was celebrating, grandpa didn't have to report.

When my dad told someone one time he was mostly German, they asked my dad, "How German?" Dad said, well my Grandmother tended sheep in the Black Forrest as a little girl, German enough?
RunninREDharD likes this.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
We were still using mostly bag fertilizer for corn up until maybe 12 years ago! Oof!

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone95 View Post
Between this and the other post, wow indeed! My Grandpa's 2 older brothers were in WW1. Since they spoke German, they were spies. They told how they would meet spies from the German side at night, build a fire, and talk about how if the "big shots" were the ones out fighting, the **** war would have been over a long time ago. Grandpa himself was on the train to go into the army, between stops at a train depot, the armistice was announced and everyone was celebrating, grandpa didn't have to report.

When my dad told someone one time he was mostly German, they asked my dad, "How German?" Dad said, well my Grandmother tended sheep in the Black Forrest as a little girl, German enough?
That is a very interesting story. My brother-in-laws dad was in WW2. He said you could tell if you were near friendly or enemy troops by the smell of the tobacco in the air. This was Russian front. Everybody smoked but each side had its own brand of tobacco! Smell different tobacco and you raised your guard!

Nowadays you would import your tobacco from the other side so you maintain your element of surprise or don't smoke!

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Im well known by my friends to find the older guys at farm sales and listen to their stories from back in the day. Usually just find the oldest piece of equipment either restored or just drug out of the grove and should be a few guys talking about how they used to run one like it or they knew of the first one in the county.

I have a small collection of old iron and go to a few threshing shows a year. Ive ran a corn picker and stacked a few small square bales by hand. But looking at the pictures of what my grandpa,dad and his brothers did was insane!!!

Wasnt many wimpy or whiney farmers back then thats for sure.

I do try and play with as much of my old equipment as time allows and and do enjoy sitting on open station tractors if its not super cold....
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
And no chubby kids sitting on the couch watching TV.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Bent that supposedly was down in South Texas. We have rattlesnakes on the gulf coast as well but I haven't seen one in a long time. Cottonmouths are a dime a dozen though and they are very foul tempered little dudes. They're worse than a rattlesnake because you won't get a warning from him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page