Funny farm story - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I used to have a 6620 combine...I drove it out of the shed one day and wheeled her around...kicked it in gear to clean it out. The poor old Deere was a dog!!..Laboring hard for a minute or two!??...Then the thing powered up and ran normal?....Hmmm..WTF?...I climb out of the cab just in time to watch a whole herd's worth of raccoon parts come flying out the straw chopper!!...About got sick...

Raccoons thrash pretty tough I guess...

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
I had a mother with little one's on the yard, i was deliberating about shooting her and the little ones, Man do they ever chew up a yard especially if you have wood buildings. I couldn't do it, i told her you better leave when you are done and she did in few days later never to be seen again. They climb everywhere, i could see there greasy paw prints on all the machinery from stepping on oily hoses, there were even on the exhaust pipe on the old 806 we use for yard duty. Now, If they would kill some of the mice i have they would be more than welcome.

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
When I was a kid I always wanted one for a pet, that started from some book I read. To this day I have never seen one in person, but learned as I got older they are a very troublesome critter. Guess one thing that always intrigued me about them is they are fairly intelligent and can adapt to their surroundings.
And they are mean as ****, i walked in on some, in one of our old buildings, you think you stepped on a badgers paw.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here in the NW they are often infected with Rabies. Your dogs, cats and other farm animals are at risk. I still occasionally hunt them and kill several each year. I've had them chew up wireing and even hydraulic hoses. Coons are a real danger to other animals including humans and I've personally been attacked by the big bulls. Please kill every coon that's possible to kill. Two rifles by my front door and usually one in the Ford, killed hundreds over the years and they just keep on multiplying. Possums here are a little less than a few years back due to a big increase in Coyotes. Coyote bands have really reduced what used to be a big Deer population here as they eat the fawns and smaller deer. My youngest sons big dog carries several scars from Coyote attacks and small dogs and feral cats are just a little snack for the coyotes.
Well at least there is some fun in the occasional night time hunt for those predators of different kinds.
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Coons crap all over my 9600 if you giv-em a chance...crap all over everything really. I catch the raccoons in live-traps and deport them to the river.

A neighbor fired up a JD 9770 with a big coon in the fan!!..Ruined the fan..fan shroud..radiator..etc..

yeh..raccoons are cool wild creatures..not so cool as barn-squatters!!
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I live in a subdivision far west chicagoland..

Couple years ago I noticed in one of my basement window wells, there is a drain cap on top of a 4" perforated drain pipe which was off. I opened the window to put it back on and noticed something down the hole.

Looked like a squirrel got in there, the feet were sticking up.

I got a stiff wire, put a bend in it.. gotta get that squirrel out of there before it starts to rot... couldn't ever get a good grip on it with the bent stiff wire... Now what...

I got some bale twine and made a loop and used the stiff wire to get it around the feet. I started to give a lift and it wasn't coming much... stronger lifting and wiggling and heaving and pretty soon it started to come up. A full size raccoon must have gotten down in the window well and couldn't get out.

Bugger figured out how to get that cap off and figured there might be something on the other end of that pipe.

That pipe goes down about 4 feet, then hooks into a full foundation drain tile, I suppose he couldn't turn the corner when he got to the bottom.

I am so thankful he didn't get further and perhaps turn the corner and then die somewhere in the tile. That smell would surely get in the house and I'm not sure how you'd ever figure out what was causing the smell.

I'm further thankful I found it before he rotted and maybe I just pulled the legs off when I went to bring him up..
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
I'm amazed the raccoon didn't suffocate or get crushed by the corn. That's one critter I've never seen up here in northern Alberta and yet Canadian Geographic claims they are found here ....

What state are you from pehinric ?

I live south of Lloydminster, we have them here now. Probably seen 6 different ones this fall. It may not take long and they will be in your area as well. Luckily I haven't had any close encounters with them yet!
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Apparently, racoons are tough!
Tough indeed! I had one stuck in a bin unload one time, it wouldn't turn??? Started pulling flighting out and soon realized what was in there....and he was not happy!

I am surprised that some of you in Alberta don't have them, are you still rat free as well?

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 07:41 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4578 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I am surprised that some of you in Alberta don't have them, are you still rat free as well?
No, we still have Stephen Harper.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
No, we still have Stephen Harper.
Actually he lives in Ottawa now with all the Liberal vermin.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page