Any Polaris RZR riders out there? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Any Polaris RZR riders out there?

I recently went down to Glamis, California to ride the Imperial sand dunes just west of Yuma, Arizona. My dad's cousin has been going down there for years so we decided to go this year and see what all the hype was about. Boy, it did not disappoint! We had a great time and will certainly make the 800 mile trek again next year. Note: we do use these RZRs on the farm. We put on 2,300 miles on one of them checking pivots, pumps, and scouting fields and the other two we use for changing pivot tires and gearboxes. It is nice to write them off and use them as toys as well! I hope the pictures work. I've never posted pics before so we'll see.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0290.jpg (761.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0302.jpg (901.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0303.jpg (881.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0306.jpg (512.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0318.jpg (713.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0305.jpg (576.8 KB, 38 views)
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Rented one at St Anthony last spring. Was fun, but in no way as fun as riding a bike there.

Interesting that you drive to Glamis. Is it that much better than St Anthony? Or is it just that you can ride there when it is cold in Idaho?

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Actually never ridden the St. Anthony dunes. Guys I've talked to who've ridden both say that St. Anthony has larger as in taller dunes but some have rocks in the bottom of the bowls. The Imperial dunes are over a larger area and the guys said they prefer them over St. Anthony because of their shapes. It is nice to ride in the warm weather when it's cold here too. If we are short on water here next summer we will try to make it to St. Anthony to ride there.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I made the drive to St Anthony twice with my bike. Now, the only other sand I've ridden was a single exposed dune in the area, but I was quite impressed.

There are rocks in some bowls, but there are lots of nice places too. Neat thing there is that the dunes actually stretch to the north up a small mountain, so it adds some vertical dimension to the riding. And gives a great overview of the dunes too.

When we rented the RAZR, the dunes were really sharp and steep -would have been way more fun on a bike. But the other times (once the weekend before memorial day and the other in mid october) they were pretty nicely shaped and the transitions were decent. Way better than anything we have up here!

Where in Southern Idaho do you farm? My wife and I spent 10 days touring there 2 years ago. Always only thought of it as a drive through state, but it is really diverse and interesting.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I've been down in the Glamis area. Never rode the dunes but drove the highways through them. Awesome and never ending dunes it seems like.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We used to go to glamis every year for about 10 years, back in the late 80's,90's. It was fun to leave the cold for a week, but the distance became a fun sucker. We liked to camp at buttercup, which is at the south of glamis dunes, on the highway from elcentro to Yuma. Back then you could ride your bikes/quads into algadones Mexico. There was a cotton farm down there at the end of the dunes that we liked to visit. You can't do that any more, it's well guarded now. We were caught down there the last time we went, and they threatened to confiscate our bikes. The first few years they patrolled the border by dragging some old car tires along the border with a 3 wheeler. Then they would fly it every few hours with a helicopter with a spotlight, and when they saw footprints, they would hunt them down. Algadones is on the American river, and back then when we would go into town, there would be guys blowing up inner tubes, saying goodbye to their families, getting ready to float to brawly to hoe beets. We had some great adventures, but my how times have changed!

Thanks for the ride down memory lane!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Back then you could ride your bikes/quads into algadones Mexico.
Ya, we rode up to the border fence and took some pictures. Sounds a lot different than it used to be. My in-laws have a winter home in Yuma so we visit them while riding the dunes and my sister lives in Phoenix so we usually make a 2 week trip out of riding dunes/visiting family. Sure is fun!

Quote:
Where in Southern Idaho do you farm?
I farm south of Twin Falls with my dad. We are right in the heart of dairy country so a lot of our crops go for cow feed. Lots of silage and hay grown around here. We are 100% irrigated otherwise all this land would just be sagebrush and grass.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

A few more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0297.jpg (791.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0311.jpg (1.49 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0322.jpg (749.8 KB, 6 views)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I farm south of Twin Falls with my dad. We are right in the heart of dairy country so a lot of our crops go for cow feed. Lots of silage and hay grown around here. We are 100% irrigated otherwise all this land would just be sagebrush and grass.[/QUOTE]

Kimberly, or hollister? I'm in declo.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

North of Hollister about 4.5 miles on highway 93. Great to find someone else from the area!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page