Doh!!..Lost a well pump! - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Be thankful that it is just a pump. Even though that still hurts it is reasonable to fix. We ran out of water this year with the drought in Texas. Had to lower my pump 20' to get any water. Talk about scary. 6 neighbors had this same problem 2 had to drill new wells at a cost of about $10,000.00 USD. One decided to go into the next water strata and went down 300 feet and never hit water. Our water table is usaully at 60 feet-200 feet deep and my well is 110 feet deep. My pump was set at 80 feet when we ran out of water. now my pump is at 100 feet and if I run out of water this time I have to drill a new well. Thank the Lord for the rain we've been getting.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to fix the well at Dads place last winter. The plastic around the wires feeding power to the pump had corroded over time and shorted out and tripped the breaker. This was one of those large diameter wells. The hose coming from the pump joined another hose and then went through the basement wall and so on. I had to use the pallet forks pushed together on the front-end loader with a ladder on the on one of the rungs and climb down the crib to attach the two hoses together......not one of my most favorite things to do in the world that's for sure. Looking down at the water and knowing its like 200' deep with no way out if you slipped.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yeh...Drought has been a problem in central OK too. Last year was better..and this year has been fair. At least it rains on occasion. It's dry right now...we got approx. 2" of snow on the ground won't help much. Chance of rain and warmer weather towards the end of the week.

I'm waiting for warmer weather to replace the cratered pump. The pump we're running on was new summer before last. Should be fine. The pump that crapped-out was here when I bought the place(2005)...Seems submersible pumps only last so long. Fairly cheap though.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoheadmonster View Post
I had to fix the well at Dads place last winter. The plastic around the wires feeding power to the pump had corroded over time and shorted out and tripped the breaker. This was one of those large diameter wells. The hose coming from the pump joined another hose and then went through the basement wall and so on. I had to use the pallet forks pushed together on the front-end loader with a ladder on the on one of the rungs and climb down the crib to attach the two hoses together......not one of my most favorite things to do in the world that's for sure. Looking down at the water and knowing its like 200' deep with no way out if you slipped.

How did they drill a large diameter well 200 feet deep?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
OH NICE!

I remember the pipes under the house freezing when I was a kid...Father brought out the portable welder...hooked one lead to the pipes by the water heater and the other somewhere under the house....let the welder pump current through the pipes for a bit..thawed them right out.
The worst was in 2011, when it got to -10 for a while. The well at my parents' place has the pressure tank and wellhead buried six feet or so, and usually doesn't cause any problems. However, every time the pump kicked on it would suck -10 degree air through the top of the well and eventually the elbow that connects the wellhead to the underground line to the house froze. Dad and I took the welder out and used the exhaust to thaw everything out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoheadmonster View Post
This was one of those large diameter wells.
How big of a well is it? Irrigation wells here are usually 16in with 14in casing, house wells are 4in and drilled with a test hole rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page