Charged Coolant Filters - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Charged Coolant Filters

I have been buying filters by the case and notice the charged coolant filters seem to be plugged before I get a chance to use them. I was storing them in cold storage, so I bought another case and put them in the house, it happened again. I am going to try to buy some untreated ones next time, but can I still use these other ones. I don't want to throw away two cases of new filters.

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
All a pre-charged coolant filter is is a filter with a coolant conditioner tablet/pill inside.

You must have some defective filters! Sounds like the conditioner tablet isn't dissolving properly to me...I would chunk them in the trash..or return to store for refund..

Anyhow..probably best to just change the coolant itself every three years or so..and just add the proper amount of liquid coolant conditioner. Then just use plain old coolant filters with no pill inside.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
How do you know these new filters are plugged/not flowing when installed and has had a chance to dissolve the DCA additive ? . I haven't really thought about it before but I suspect the granular product may clump together if the filter is stored in too high a humidity environment, just a guess though.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Part of the reason i just keep a certain number of filters in stock, nothing to build up in or on them and if the piece of equipment goes down the road I have less hassles returning the ones that can be returned and don't loose as much as the ones that can't be. However we change fluids filters year round and can't really predict when most of them will need them.

The simple solution to your problem is an ELC coolant. I just use Delo ELC and empty coolant filters. Delo ELC is rated for 8 years/15,000hrs/750,000 miles with no additional additives needed. I still test the SCA's and such though. I buy it pre mixed in bulk for less than $8/gallon delivered. I buy it pre-mixed because there are multiple people grabbing it throughout a day, it just avoids confusion and the half empty jugs that get dumped out because nobody knows what ratio they were mixed to. I guess you could say the water in it is probably a little better too, but the main reason I do it is to keep things simple.

In contrast I can buy good old green antifreeze for less than $5/gallon pre-mixed from same company and it will be good for 2 years/2,000hrs/50,000 miles and I will have to monitor the SCA's much closer and have the labor of changing it that much more often. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out those numbers, not to mention the HD ELC's have much better protection built into them that's needed for wet sleeve engines.

It is important to note that you can overcharge the system by using ELC coolants with filters filled with conditioners, that is why it is recommended to switch to empty filters and add SCA's from a bottle as needed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I notice when I take the plastic off and pull the plug on the filter the opening is filled with the conditioner if it's more than a few months old. I assume it would dissolve if I put it on and let it sit with coolant in it for a while before use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page