Door to door scams - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Door to door scams

I think this is the right spot to post this, but what an interesting week. We had a van with 3 guys pull up to the shop on the farm yard on Tuesday. Wouldn't get out just honked and yelled from the seats(this should have been my first clue). They were (so they said) from a paving company that had a machine broke down and they had to fix the machine. But in order to fix the machine they had to get rid of the reclaimed asphalt in the machine. So they were wondering if they could pour a pad in for us at a discounted price. Normally it should be $10 a square foot, but, they would do it for $4, cause we were helping them out. Long story short, they didn't do anything they said. Oh, they made a pad alright, of dirt and gravel. Then they demanded that we paid them right there for what they did. $11,000 bill is what they handed us. So my oldest brother said they weren't getting paid until we had a real asphalt company come and test what they just did. They yelled and left the yard. They have called my cell phone about 50 times demanding they be paid, they even cut their bill down, first to $4500, then to $1500.(Wasn't that nice of them?)I offered them $200, they declined. I told them they can come and clean the crap off our yard before I paid them. So I guess we aren't out anything, we never paid them and the pad will eventually get work in with the rest of the gravel on the yard. But what guts it took for these guys over a couple of days to line all this work up and then vanish. They had business cards and and invoice for the work. As hard as I tried on the phone to get these guys back on the yard, I couldn't. Wow a long story made long. It was a couple of guys from the U.K. The "leader" was about 65 and incredibly fat. His reply to my $200 offer was, that he spend more than that feeding his kids candy. I was thinking he looked like he just ate some kids.....The other two were also white males but around 30 ish. They are likely heading back to British Columbia, but not sure. They mentioned thats where they were from. So I guess this story just boils down to if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. And go with your gut. Wow there is more details but I just wanted to warn people about this. I know of one farm not far where they did some work, exactly same as our place, but they paid them and couldn't get the cheque stopped in time.

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Blogger

Re: Door to door scams

Wow thats unreal aye, Those blokes have some serious balls doing that.

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4688 Post(s)

I had a guy approach me this summer, sounds like a similar scam.
I was in the city of Red Deer at the time, give him my business card, it felt kinda screwy, but never (I now feel fortunately) heard from him again.

Don
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 AM
farmerleach

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Had a guy show up this summer with a metal late, air compressor, 20 ton press, and some smaller tools kicking around. He to was heading back to BC. Told me he wanted $300 for the whole lot. SO I asked him if I would have any problems insuring this stuff, and he left in a bit of a hurry.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 12:44 AM

Heard the same paving story one day at work. Told him to call my boss, which he never did. A week or so later he also stopped by one of my neighbors and told the same story, they knew it was kinda fishy as there were no paving jobs around.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4688 Post(s)

Not sure it was the same guy Farmerleach, this guy had diesel and gas generators, a press and some other stuff, about 1/3 price according to him.
Luckily I was swamped that day, being I'm the good neighbor I am, sent him there.

Don
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 382 Post(s)

Sounds like the guys that want to paint your barn. Our poor neighbor when he was a newbie got one of those paint jobs. Paint looks about like water and food coloring. I'm glad to have learned that lesson from Dad.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Ha those guys with the truck full of tools sure made their rounds, they stopped by our place as well. I looked at the stuff but it is just cheaply made knock off tools. I told him if I wanted tools like that I can get them at princess auto, then I could at least bring them back if they break and get a new one. And just like Don, I sent him to a neighbour as well, one that I know has no time or patience for salesmen. LOL. I got the name off the side of the truck and googled it but came up blank. Hmmm. It was supposed to be some kind of big manufactur blow out. But when you look at the boxes the tools and that were in, the pictures on the side are all stickers and not the nice looking pictures that are usually printed onto the packaging.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Don't even waste your time talking to solicitors, those paving guys run around all over they'll level out the gravel you've got and lay down a 1" pad that won't hold up your pickup.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Blogger

You'd think if they had half a brain they'd at least be in an area where there was a paving job being done, it would be half believable then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page