The Motorbike Thread - Page 6 - The Combine Forum
 85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIPP View Post
At least the Goldwing is safe sitting inside the shop.
I was thinking it wouldn't be long before I got back on the road but on Friday I was feeding cows and slipped on the ice, I didn't fall but when my foot slipped and stopped on dry ground my leg kept going and I rolled my ankle, so i crawled into the house took my boots of and my foot was hanging beside my leg, it was pretty obvious I broke both bones in my lower left leg so last night I had surgery got to plates and a handful of screws also a cast for 6 weeks,the surgeon said it was a very serious break I sure hope I heal so I have movement in my shifter foot.

Cows start calving in beginning of April I should be fairly mobile by then.

My youngest son had a lower leg break involving the joint when he was in his twenties while racing MX. The hardware from the operation always bothered him a bit so he had it removed two years later. They can be talked into that if you are young enough.

Later on he badly shattered an elbow. They actually waited an extra day and flew in several options of artificial joints before starting the operation, just in case. I was pretty negative about that measure, and in the end two surgeons put all of the pieces of what they described as gravel, back together with a box of micro screws as well as a few smaller plates. After 5 years he had all of that hardware removed as well except the screws that were overgrown by bone. He's very happy that he endured the two extra operations to have it removed.

TSIPP likes this.
post #52 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I'm 47 so will see how it heals the surgeon said I have good strong bones, I just have a hard time believing I broke it that easily.

In the hospital they gave me some morphine the pain wasn't bad and got a prescription for hydromorphone for home but it's not working but I knew I had an old prescription from eight years ago and there working so I'm wondering what's up with the new pills.
I do know that 16 mg of hydromorphone in fourteen hours should keep me spinning but there not doing a darn thing.

post #53 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Doctor 650 likes this.
post #54 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:51 PM

An unsupported crossing of the Simpson Desert ( Australia ) last year, on a WR450. Other bike was an Africa Twin - first "unsupported" AT across the Simpson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2842_1489376503156.jpg (248.9 KB, 34 views)
Doctor 650 likes this.
post #55 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:54 PM

Off the Strezlecki Track
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2561_1489377173634.jpg (430.3 KB, 30 views)
Doctor 650 likes this.
post #56 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:05 AM

Fully loaded WR450
18l front tank, custom 18l rear alloy saddle tanks, 2 x 10l fuel bladders slung over tank, 20l water, swag, etc. At Birdsville after crossing the Simpson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2879_1489377286210.jpg (388.7 KB, 39 views)
BrianTee and Doctor 650 like this.
post #57 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 AM

The first new Honda Africa Twin to cross the Simpson Desert unsupported
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2870_1489377964627.jpg (448.2 KB, 36 views)
Doctor 650 likes this.
post #58 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
How far of a ride across? Some of the sand looks very fine grained and red.

I was wondering what makes the sand look red and it looks pretty soft.
Doctor 650 likes this.
post #59 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:25 AM

a Simpson crossing is basically between Mt Dare ( South Australia ) in the west, & Birdsville ( Queensland ) in the east.
There are 2 main tracks across - The French Line, which is the most direct at approx. 440km, or The Rig Road ( the one we took ) which is over 700km. Pure desert. No facilities of any kind. Hence the 55l of petrol & 20l of water. Did it in 2 1/2 days, stopping to smell the roses ( so to speak ), take photos & just enjoy being out there

yes, the sand is red. Central Australia is also known as The Red Centre. High iron content apparently causes the red

sand is soft & deep but varies considerably from season to season, & even throughout the day. We noticed a big variation between early morning / late afternoon when the sand was quite firm, to the heat of the day when the sand became quite soft & powdery. There had been good rain through there a month earlier which helped with conditions, but extended dry periods ( the norm ) can make it much harder with the sand being very dry & powdery
TSIPP and Doctor 650 like this.
post #60 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Roy View Post
a Simpson crossing is basically between Mt Dare ( South Australia ) in the west, & Birdsville ( Queensland ) in the east.
There are 2 main tracks across - The French Line, which is the most direct at approx. 440km, or The Rig Road ( the one we took ) which is over 700km. Pure desert. No facilities of any kind. Hence the 55l of petrol & 20l of water. Did it in 2 1/2 days, stopping to smell the roses ( so to speak ), take photos & just enjoy being out there

yes, the sand is red. Central Australia is also known as The Red Centre. High iron content apparently causes the red

sand is soft & deep but varies considerably from season to season, & even throughout the day. We noticed a big variation between early morning / late afternoon when the sand was quite firm, to the heat of the day when the sand became quite soft & powdery. There had been good rain through there a month earlier which helped with conditions, but extended dry periods ( the norm ) can make it much harder with the sand being very dry & powdery
Would love to do the Simpson, done the Canning 1 times on the old DR650, something about the Aussie desert.
Longest stretch we did was almost 800 ks without fuel. Touch wood the DR has never let us down.

TSIPP and Farmer Roy like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page