Cistern Cleaning at farm - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Food grade hydrogen peroxide, there is a difference between food grade and regular.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerDave1 View Post
I know there are new ideas about using hydrogen peroxide in well sanitizing. I guess it is safer and not considered a carcinogen as chlorine is. Someon might have more insight than I do on this. Might be able to use it in this situation. You would need more then a few 500 ml bottles from the drug store I would imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmark View Post
Food grade hydrogen peroxide, there is a difference between food grade and regular.
Peroxide is probably the cheapest and most effective answer for your smell problem. I use it in the camper every fill to clean up the odor and prevent growth. Less than 20ml in a fill and it's good to go. The stuff I use is not the same stuff found in a drugstore, (that might be the same but diluted), I found it at a local farm/feed supply store, look for 35% Hydrogen Peroxide. It can also be used to shock wells, etc.

'Obsession without discipline often results in chaos'
-Stephan Schiffman
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I agree chlorine or food grade peroxide are your options. Peroxide comes anywhere from 3% to 50% concentration. If handling high concentrations be sure to wear goggles and protect skin as peroxide burn is instant. As Northern farmer said If water has any bacteria in it, it will start to grow over time, so if it were me I would be treating every load of water with peroxide until a residual shows up on a peroxide test strip. The more bacteria in the water the more peroxide needed until a residual shows up. Once the bacteria is gone so is the smell. Chlorine will do the same thing it just depends what you want in your water. Don't let anyone tell you need x amount of chlorine, or peroxide to treat x amount of water. If it is very pure water it takes very little to have a residual and if it is very poor it takes a lot. I use dugout water and this time of year I need about 5 times the amount as needed in later spring or summer.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
If you want to avoid chemicals a ozone treatment system works good for killing biological things in water. We use one even on well water
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih4life View Post
Hey guys, Anybody have any ideas for what to use to clean a cistern?

Chemicals or cleaners besides bleach? Cistern is directly under house and is about 8 foot wide and 15 deep. Any help is appreciated.
...........Yeah go to you tube and search for jimmy stirr in spur tx. It will tell how to do .

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page